dpms panther lite 16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DPMS doesn't make two grades of bolts, carriers, or barrels. The Sportical is less expensive due to less features, not lower quality parts. To say some DPMS rifles are ok and others not simply isn't acknowledging the fact that they all get the same stuff. Of all the stuff you guys have listed ONLY Saber makes most all of it's own parts.

Are all of the DPMS barrels the same other than profile? I was thinking some of their models had chrome lined barrels but after browsing their site I didn't come across any that did.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DPMS doesn't make two grades of bolts, carriers, or barrels. The Sportical is less expensive due to less features, not lower quality parts. To say some DPMS rifles are ok and others not simply isn't acknowledging the fact that they all get the same stuff. Of all the stuff you guys have listed ONLY Saber makes most all of it's own parts.

So are you saying that there is no difference between a bolt group that has been hp and mp tested, shootpeened, properly staked, f/a weight, proper insert spring and an o-ring, chrome lining, proper sized key screws and a standard DPMS bolt group?

BTW one of the "high end rifles" mentioned uses DPMS bolts, carriers and trigger groups.

Which one? Can't leave a brotha hangin like that.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I am NOT saying that, What I am saying is that DPMS DOES NOT MAKE two levels of parts. I have never personally seen a DPMS bolt fail, but I have two Colt bolts that quit on me. Now is that a bad statement about Colt? NO the last one failed after a meer 3 Chrome lined barrels of use ( it is on it's 4 the barrel now, so lets guess at around 75,000 rounds. I have a DPMS bolt that has well over 50,000 in a Full Auto gun and it isn't broke yet.

I hesitate to say cause it just sparks off a "No they don't" squable and could get me in trouble with onwe of my main sponsores, but since Saber makes almost all it's own parts we know it isn't them. And Novesky, as of late, is using Leitner bolts we can sort of rule them out. KurtM

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I am NOT saying that, What I am saying is that DPMS DOES NOT MAKE two levels of parts. I have never personally seen a DPMS bolt fail, but I have two Colt bolts that quit on me. Now is that a bad statement about Colt? NO the last one failed after a meer 3 Chrome lined barrels of use ( it is on it's 4 the barrel now, so lets guess at around 75,000 rounds. I have a DPMS bolt that has well over 50,000 in a Full Auto gun and it isn't broke yet.

I hesitate to say cause it just sparks off a "No they don't" squable and could get me in trouble with onwe of my main sponsores, but since Saber makes almost all it's own parts we know it isn't them. And Novesky, as of late, is using Leitner bolts we can sort of rule them out. KurtM

Kurt I really appreciate the info. Good to hear you have had good experiences with the DPMS bolts, everytime I take mine out and shoot, I break her down and clean her. I expect my gun to give me years of reliable service :thumb:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back on track for the OP's intent (I think)...

If you want to use .223 for hunting hogs and deer (I do for hogs, and sometimes for deer), than by all means, do it. Just make sure you've got the right rifle/ammo/scope.

If you're hunting in OK, you'll get a shot at a deer at over 100yds maybe twice in your life unless you have access to one of those sweet places in OK with lots of open land surrounded by nothing but hills with no trees (and deer).

If you are looking to hunt hogs, I doubt you'll ever get one at more than 100yds due to where they are normally found.

I hunt with 68gr Federal hunting ammo and (when I can find it), Corbon DPX in the heavier grains (i.e. >65gr).

Some 1/9 twist barrels can handle 68gr and nothing else bigger, some can handle 75gr with no issue (same is true for 1/7 twist barrels handling 45gr and 55gr).

I would look for a higher quality (and chrome-lined) barrel than the cheapest DPMS you can find if you plan on hunting with this rifle. That's not to take anything away from DPMS for plinking by the average shooter, but I wouldn't try and put a 69 or 75gr bullet down it at 100yds and expect it to be reliable. I sure wouldn't expect it to be reliable at greater distances.

Plus, I'd much rather have a picture of a deer on my deer rifle than a panther. Unless its a Rare Black Power rifle, which is a whole other situation right there my friend.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is some info posted by Pat Rogers on another forum about what parts break most in his carbine course:

[FONT=tahoma, arial]What we see go down at class falls into these catagories.

Wear items
Specifically, extractors and extractor springs.
Bolt rings
Buffer springs

Parts guns
Parts ain't parts. If you get your stuff from gun shows and garage sales, don't expect quality
I had a guy in a recent class bragging on T1 that he built his carbine for $400 and "it is just as good as..." That feternoon it wouldn't ectract. The extractor was worn snooth and then re park'd; the extractot spring was flat (no joke) and the insert was just crumbs.
We replaced it all.
On T3 his bolt broke in half.

Hobby guns
Generally ok, but non MPI bolts may not last (we see less problems with breaking lately) and some of the new guns may not work at all. These should not have to be shot in- they should work out of the box.
Chambers are often 223, no matter what is marked on the barrel. When the gun gets hot, extraction slows down.

Worn out guns
Parts wear. Sometimes the guns are just plain shot out- more often, military guns.

Think MEAL
Magazines- serviceable mags
Extractor- serviceable
Ammunition- quality ammo, not garbage
Lube- generous lubrication

If you have that, most of the guns- even some of the very low end guns- might do well for a class or more.

On the other hand, some of the companies make absolutely great guns. They will last a long time.[/FONT]

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I am NOT saying that, What I am saying is that DPMS DOES NOT MAKE two levels of parts.

Alright I'm home know and not on the iphone so I can actually see and re read where you were talking about "same stuff" within the DPMS line.

jroberts1968

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bratch makes excellent points. I would agree that 95% of folks will never ride their guns hard enough to need a "good" rifle, but the 5% whose lives (or other peoples lives) depend on them will want the "good" ones.

I was shooting one of my ACOG equipped AR at the SCRAP range some time back when another shooter with his AR that had an illuminated chinese clone ACOG on it started telling me that I was a dumba$$ for buying a high dollar real ACOG when his cheap clone would do everything mine would do. He had shot 200rds through his after initial zero and it has held zero ever since. His rifle had even fallen over (while in its padded case) and it still held zero. I told him, lets do this: We will each take off our optics and hurl them downrange as far as we can. Since they will be dirty when they land, let's dunk them in the lake next to the range to rinse them off. We will then re-mount them and see if they both still hold zero. Needless to say, he did not take me up on this.

My point is, you will not see much difference between "good" and "good enough/decent" until you ride the really hard and most folks will never do that.

I think those 5% should grab a AK, Sig 556, or any thing that dos'nt run the Stoner system..:woot: MHO. I like AR's cause there like man Barbie we can change them at will with ease and there is just so much crap we can hang on it. It's like you can be Upper West Side AR with Larue and ACOG or you can be a Walmart AR with a NCSTAR and Some low end receiver. Thats what makes them cool. Now an AK on the other hand well not all the bells and whistles but function-able. Or even better High Priced Call Girl = AR and a Bar fly Hooker =AK. I like the bar fly:burnout::burnout:

SoonerShots

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I own a DPMS LR 308 AP4. I purchased my DPMS in October of last year. I have not ever had a single feed problem. When sighting in my rifle, my best three round group could be completely covered by a dime.
Last fall I took a 6 point buck the first season in the field. All the folks talking down DPMS are all entitled to their opinions; however I would put a lot of weight in the opinions of actual owners of the DPMS platform. I love mine and God willing, intend to keep it for a very long time.

Attachments

• Daves AR II 006.jpg
    Daves AR II 006.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 199

Latest posts

Top Bottom