Drying produce

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So when drying produce like potatoes and peppers ect,, im always waging the temp and time. I have noticed that the produce may feel soft and rubber like when it's in the dryer after it cools to room temp it gets crispy so im having a hard time finding a set of rules.

Im thinking a lower temperature help preserve flavor and nutrition

Any suggestions on how to know when your priduce is ready? Im looking at long term storage and re-hydration before consuming

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So when drying produce like potatoes and peppers ect,, im always waging the temp and time. I have noticed that the produce may feel soft and rubber like when it's in the dryer after it cools to room temp it gets crispy so im having a hard time finding a set of rules.

Im thinking a lower temperature help preserve flavor and nutrition

Any suggestions on how to know when your priduce is ready? Im looking at long term storage and re-hydration before consuming

I found this website to be especially helpful: http://www.dehydrate2store.com/ under the helpful tips section, you'll find lots of good info. She talks about "case hardening" which is when the outside dries quicker than the inside, causing moisture to be retained & consequently, spoilage. I've followed her tips of doing fruits/veggies at 120-125 degrees for a longer period of time with great success.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom