Dumb Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody knows there are a bunch of dumb laws on the books. Even our legislators, the people who make the laws, know this is true. But hey, they are really busy-like you know, doing important stuff like taking trips and so on so give 'em a break.
Here's a dumb law that was brought to my attention some time back: I was writing a check to the Dog Groomer Lady; I picked up a pen off her counter and was writing it out when her assistant told me that I need to void the check, and re-do it, because it was in GREEN ink, and that was against the law; checks have to be in either BLUE or BLACK INK. I ignored it, 'cause you know, it was just my little way of getting back at "The Man".

Share your dumb laws story here; might help keep a fellow OSA'er outta the slammer even.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in the first year of college I did a study of dumb laws in the city the college was located in.
One was that anyone owning a horseless carriage coming into the city limits had to notify the Chief of Police a day in advance. There had to be a person 100 yards in advance of the horseless carriage shooting a shotgun into the air to warn horse owners there was a horseless carriage in the area and so on.
We brought this to the attention of the city lawyer to see if it was worth changing, and he just laughed.
Yeah, there are old laws on the books and most will never be enforced because those that enforce those laws are probably ignorant of those past rulings.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everybody knows there are a bunch of dumb laws on the books. Even our legislators, the people who make the laws, know this is true. But hey, they are really busy-like you know, doing important stuff like taking trips and so on so give 'em a break.
Here's a dumb law that was brought to my attention some time back: I was writing a check to the Dog Groomer Lady; I picked up a pen off her counter and was writing it out when her assistant told me that I need to void the check, and re-do it, because it was in GREEN ink, and that was against the law; checks have to be in either BLUE or BLACK INK. I ignored it, 'cause you know, it was just my little way of getting back at "The Man".

Share your dumb laws story here; might help keep a fellow OSA'er outta the slammer even.
People often misquote rules or policies from institutions as "against the law". I'll wager it is the bank's "law" that is in question here.
Checks are scanned with high speed processing machines and have trouble with other than blue or black ink causing an actual human to do what is called work. This causes a delay in the processing and payment of the check back to the business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom