E15 gasoline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep the wife put some into her Pontiac vibe.
I have been running E10 forever and I get better MPG with it than the 100% gas.
Your Mileage may vary.

My hot rods run quicker and I can have a more aggressive timing curve with the E10 91 also than 100% 91.

Now since she stuck in the E15 88 octane in her Vibe I figured I would try it in my 1995 Corolla.
The first tank full I swore my MPG went up.
Second tank I drove to Wilburton OK and back Long way around.
I have had this car since 2000 and it has 333,400 miles on it and MPG gets checked all the time.

I have done experiments with hot air induction and different oils with this car and different tires and different tire air pressures.
All those things add up to more or less MPG.
I have driven the Wilburton trip many times and trips to Gore or the red river many times.

No grass grown under this car I cruise at 80 MPH and get 33.5 MPG. When really moving like 95+ MPH for some stretches my MPG will go to 31.

First tank with E15 I assumed to get better MPG but it was a lot of city driving and it was not empty when I filled it up.

Well 35.4 MPG is what I got yesterday on the Wilburton trip.
Seemed to accelerate a wee bit better.
Could be it is a bit leaner and maybe it needs to be as it still has original O2 sensors and all hoses are original. Thing has never been apart.

Knock on wood.
I put some E10 87 in it in Henryetta and MPG went down.

I have ran E15 in my 47 dodge truck in the hot summer time and it ran fine It had the 10.87 compression 350" with ported iron heads and 750 carb.

I have miixed E85 into the fuel tank with the same engine 50/50 mix was as most E85 that I ran with 91 100% gas.
It softened my accelerator pump on the edelbrock carb and made it like an umbrella turned inside out.

Found the weak spot :)

I will be trying more of the E15 and see if MPG stays up.. must run this Henryetta Shell fuel out first.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't put any ethanol fuel in my 69 Charger.
Especially with this engine.

I used to with the 1st engine I put in it & kept running into problems. Maybe cause it doesn't get driven on a regular basis, but in 4 years on this engine with not one drop of ethanol fuel run thru it I haven't had any problems at all. Ethanol attracts water, & I don't want or need any water getting into the fuel of that car.

In my vehicles that get driven regularly, I don't care what fuel they get, they usually get the E10 stuff, but they usually get 1 to 2.5 miles per gallon worse milage than if I run a tank of pure fuel.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ethanol doesn't have as much energy as gasoline, so seeing a dip in mileage is pretty normal. Some of those engines designed for the cheap stuff do run more efficient on it. Glad you're seeing results on it. Don't hear that very often.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t done the math but I’ve often wondered about ethanol in fuel. Less cost at the pump but less mileage than pure gas. Do you really save anything? If not, buying pure gas makes more sense to me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do know 7-11 fuel up the street used to be all 10% Ethanol and my cars ran great on it.
Especially my old cars with 350" chevy carbed and 10.78 compression and higher.

Then they bought the corner lot and moved into that and new store and pumps and NO more 10% Ethanol 91 octane.
It was now 100% gas.
My 2 hot rod cars hated it..PING PING PING! I had to pull timing and it still ran kind of crappy..I had to rejet and it was better but down on power.
There are still stores that sell the 10% 91..I have used the Loves fuel and it is crap.
Then fuel from circle K was not any better.
The search continued for good 10% in 91 octane and Sinclair had it .

Circle K 87 octane at 10% does not run well in my Corolla or Vibes.
Not all fuels are mixed the same as we know.
I feel the added oxygenates in 10% help with fuel atomization a little bit.. Or like it was meant to do creates more complete combustion.

When you are living on the edge of a radical tune little changes in octane or burn rate will ruin you.
I wish they would bring back leaded fuel.
Since they took out the lead the general public has became much more ignorant.

Is it that lead helps brain function. :)

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After watching Mustie1 on youtube and seeing what ethanol fuel does to small engines when sat for a while, I started using non-ethanol fuel. Our only car is a 17' Kia Soul (my wife's choice, though I don't like the 17' version over the 10' Soul we had) and I run it on pure gas though I've seen no difference between the two when I have to use E10/E15 gas.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I’ve noticed is that engines with higher compression seem to run with less impact that lower compression engines do on e10.
Yep...Got a friend with a pretty modded Hyundai Tiburon. He put a roots type blower on it and added a methanol injection system to it. Helped a lot from what he says but it's mostly from cooling the intake charge. The added octane certainly doesn't hurt the added compression but both the cooling and added octane help with pinging. Lower compression engines just don't require it and you don't really get anything from an alcohol fuel in them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom