Eating "rough" fish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was EOTWAWKI.
May be no craft paper present in your area.
When i was in 5th grade my buddy and I cought a couple (2) nice size bluegill he had a lighter and the creek was 1/2 dried up.

We made a small pit fire 12" diameter and we cooked those 2 fish .. he was from Louisiana and new some stuff.
I cooked my fish on a stick untill it was about to flake off of it.. only gutted and skewered.. head and scales and fins all on it..My friend told me it will be fishy tasting.

He dug some clean smelling mud from the creek bank and made a mud pie all around his fish and stuck it into the coals and kept the fire going on top of it as I was cooking my fish on a stick.
His was done just a minute after mine.
Mine tasted like fishy fish.

he took that mud pie out and set it aside to cool. Looked like a flat Frisbee dirt clod..After it was cool enough to hold he held it in his hand and took his his
other hand and wigled and pried off the top.. it was like 2 pieces of dirt clods and the top chunk had skin and scales attached and the one setting in his hand was like a bowl with flaky white meat showing.

MAN!! it was excellent ..No fishy taste and baked to perfection.

Come on guys a 5th grader can cook in a mud pie better than what I have eaten in restaurants.
I think he told me then that his uncle told him how to do it. I think this was 1978,, I remember it like yesterday. Funny how some things stick in the old noggin.

There is your EOTWAWKI fish cook for the day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was EOTWAWKI.
May be no craft paper present in your area.
When i was in 5th grade my buddy and I cought a couple (2) nice size bluegill he had a lighter and the creek was 1/2 dried up.

We made a small pit fire 12" diameter and we cooked those 2 fish .. he was from Louisiana and new some stuff.
I cooked my fish on a stick untill it was about to flake off of it.. only gutted and skewered.. head and scales and fins all on it..My friend told me it will be fishy tasting.

He dug some clean smelling mud from the creek bank and made a mud pie all around his fish and stuck it into the coals and kept the fire going on top of it as I was cooking my fish on a stick.
His was done just a minute after mine.
Mine tasted like fishy fish.

he took that mud pie out and set it aside to cool. Looked like a flat Frisbee dirt clod..After it was cool enough to hold he held it in his hand and took his his
other hand and wigled and pried off the top.. it was like 2 pieces of dirt clods and the top chunk had skin and scales attached and the one setting in his hand was like a bowl with flaky white meat showing.

MAN!! it was excellent ..No fishy taste and baked to perfection.

Come on guys a 5th grader can cook in a mud pie better than what I have eaten in restaurants.
I think he told me then that his uncle told him how to do it. I think this was 1978,, I remember it like yesterday. Funny how some things stick in the old noggin.

There is your EOTWAWKI fish cook for the day.

Been there, done that. Old boy scout trick. We used to camp at a pond that had a bank of the heavy clay. Tough to mold until put in a bowl and made into a thick slurry like putty. Wrapped some bluegill, put it into the coals, and let it cook for about 30 minutes. Cracked the "shell" like an egg, and used the bottom half like a bowl. You had to pick through bones, and some residue of the clay shell, but a person darned sure won't die of starvation.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That might be the neatest way to cook a fish that I've ever heard.

When I was a kid in S.E. Oklahoma, one of the old neighbor men who used to go fishing with us would take clay and put the fish in the middle of it, Cook it until its hard and then break the clay to get the fish out. He cooked potatoes that way also. Fish was always tender and moist.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a guy that used to hang out here from up in NE Oklahoma that had a nice pictorial on how to prepare and cook gar on here, a few years back, might do a search.

Nice tutorial, don't know if he still posts here....

Latest posts

Top Bottom