Ebola Threat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody else starting to pay a little more attention to this situation? Since the initial outbreak earlier this year it's been on my radar, but I figured it would burn itself out like similar outbreaks that have been reported in the past. After reading an article about an American who developed symptoms while on a flight from Liberia to Nigeria, and died after being quarantined in Nigeria, this situation has my attention.

I don't think it's an imminent threat, and I'm not throwing my BOB in my BUG to GOOD before the SHTF and it goes from SNAFU to TARFU to FUBAR. However, the guy was on his way back to the states when this happened. Here's a link to the article, and a chart of the outbreak's progression:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...of-global-epidemic-was-on-way-home-to-US.html

Diseased_Ebola_2014.jpg

"Diseased Ebola 2014" by Leopoldo Martin R - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F....png#mediaviewer/File:Diseased_Ebola_2014.png

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not asking whether or not ya'll are personally worried about contracting Ebola. I'm talking about the impact it would have on the nation as a whole if Ebola makes it to our shores. I remember when swine flu was making people around here nervous 5 or 6 years ago, and Ebola is a whole other can of worms.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little to no impact. It barely spreads in Africa...a place with deplorable living conditions, poor hygiene, people living on top of each other, and poorly equipped emergency services.

Sure, we have rapid transit that might help spread it but we also have a much better infrastructure when it comes to health and human services. Combine that with Ebola's difficult transmission method (you can't get it from sneezing and coughing) and, IMHO, it might get here but it won't do much.

More people die from diarrhea in a single day than Ebola has killed in recorded history.

Latest posts

Top Bottom