Ebola Threat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not asking whether or not ya'll are personally worried about contracting Ebola. I'm talking about the impact it would have on the nation as a whole if Ebola makes it to our shores. I remember when swine flu was making people around here nervous 5 or 6 years ago, and Ebola is a whole other can of worms.

It's ruined my peace corps plans :bolt:

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think they are getting a little more concerned than in times past.

Sierra Leone declares a public emergency over Ebola and orders troops to quarantine infected areas as doctors say the virus is 'absolutely out of control'
Doctors Without Borders says West Africa not ready to handle Ebola
Airports and airlines placed on high alert to prevent disease reaching UK

Anyone who slips through will be held in highly secure hospital units
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond declares outbreak 'a very serious threat'
Some experts predict 30,000 people could become infected in west Africa

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tors-Without-Borders-admits-things-worse.html

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
im watching it purely out of fascination by the virus and epidemiology (also being in medical field helps spark my interest). I am not worried about it in the sense of me coming into an exposure situation but when it comes to the containment of it on the African continent, I definitely have my concerns.

The problem isnt only the unsanitary conditions and traditions (i.e. burial techniques by the families) but the widespread misbelief by the public that Ebola isnt real and it is a government conspiracy to get Aid money for the world. The current fear of the person dieing in an UK airport definately could reveal just how lax the travel restrictions are in the hot zones.

IF you are really interested in Ebola i STRONLY recommend this book i ready in undergrad epidemiology by Richard Preston "The Hot Zone". It is a book on the outbreak of Ebola in Washington DC. Amazing insight on the disease and how an outbreak is approached. I think the US and CDC has the sanitation techniques and resources to help prevent here, what we are seeing in Africa.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Highly unlikely to go anywhere here unless it is wanted to go somewhere….... Beyond that Its All about the money. How are third and 4th world countries going to pay for the R&D and then the Serum itself ??? Merck, Abbott, PFizer et al are not in the biz to do things for free and why the average person in America is on 2-3 diff. types of meds, and the older you are the higher the number of meds. Where's Johnny football when you need him.

My hats off to those persons willing to go to those countries for medical support under Normal circumstances, let alone the fortitude to go there when the wheels have come off. IMO - Bringing them here was the right thing to do, for science and humanity in respect to protocols and capability.

Think about it - I hit some nice food poisoning and for 3 days I wanted to crawl home to mommy, and when your messed up i'd guess yur no diff.

I think you'd appreciate coming home to a clean, cool and capable facility you call 'home' when your getting your ars blitzed by a Super.

Speaking of that. Time for "Outbreak" movie night.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom