Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s the around town usage that this potential purchase would see
That, IMHO, is the one place where they make sense for consumers. They're iffy for road trips, but they're a pretty decent option for scooting around town. The one potential issue in a place that's as spread out as the OKC metro is that the ranges can be more like long trips--f'rinstance, if you're going from SE Norman to Quail Springs, you'd best have at least 100mi of range before you leave if you want to get back home.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the question was, if you plug into a charging station outside your home, what does it cost, I think. Like do they charge you per kilowatt-hour or something? How many kWH to charge your batteries completely? How many from say 50%? And how far can you go on that?

Those kinds of costs are very difficult to calculate, and hence turn some people off to EVs when you can get readily-available figures on gas vehicles. The unpredicatbility of usage vs efficiency is an issue.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Crest has put in a number of charging stations. Quick glance looks like 8 or so. I’ve never seen a car plugged in to them yet. I think they are free. The first or second gen Chevy volts had a ‘quick charge’ cord that was about a $1500 upgrade.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it cost about $9 to fully charge a Tesla. If power goes out you can always use a generator to charge the car. I have a whole home Generac so losing power isn't a deal killer for me.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Electric vehicles are a novelty being pushed by agenda-driven people. When such a vehicle can produce its own electricity, I'll consider owning one.

I like the idea of the old diesel submarines and the diesel-electric locomotives. The engines drive generators which in turn power the motors driving the screws or drive wheels. In the case of the submarines, there are batteries for submerged ops, but the generator-to-motor setup is nothing more than a very smooth transmission of torque - without the need for gears, slip clutches, belts, etc., etc.

Woody

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a preorder reservation on a Rivian R1T pickup - made it a year ago and thus qualified for a Launch Edition vehicle (specially badged with some no-cost accessories). I hope to have it by the end of this year. I also had, and canceled, reservations on the Nikola Badger and Lordstown Endurance. The Nikola will never see production as it was basically a financial Ponzi scheme run by the founder, and if the Endurance is ever made it will be a low-trim vehicle designed for fleets.

I have full faith that Rivian will make it as the next successful EV manufacturer - they have received billions in investment capital from Ford, Amazon, T. Rowe Price, and Cox Automotive among others. Amazon has placed an order for 100,000 electric delivery vehicles with Rivian, and Tulsa is one of sixteen test markets for those vehicles which are on the road now (Amazon testing Rivian vehicles in Oklahoma | Local Business | pantagraph.com). Rivian has announced that the warranty on their vehicles will be comprehensive (bumper-to-bumper) 5 yrs./60,000 miles and drivetrain 8 yrs./175,000 miles, including a guarantee of no less than 70% battery pack degradation in that 8 yr./175,000 mile timeframe (What is the warranty coverage on a new Rivian? - Support Center - Rivian).

I too am concerned about range anxiety when taking the Rivian out of town - but Rivian is also building a network of over 3,500 fast chargers at over 600 sites by the end of 2023 (Charging your Rivian by Rivian - Rivian Stories). These chargers will be capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in about 20 minutes. I've seen estimates of cost for this charge at around $6-$10, depending on price of electricity at the charger. All of their chargers will be powered by renewable energy.

I'm excited to have a vehicle that will do 0-60 in 3 seconds at less than half the cost of an equivalent performing ICE vehicle! And no more oil, spark plug, antifreeze, or transmission fluid changes! Oh - and to address an earlier post in this thread, you cannot add charge, boost, or jump start an EV from a 12V battery in an ICE vehicle - but in the case of the Rivian, if you were to get stranded with zero battery charge left you could recharge via another vehicle towing it. (Same technology as regenerative braking adding power back into the battery.)

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The EV will become more and more visible and viable just as the internal combustion vehicles slowly replaced the horse & buggy. I’m sure the early converts to cars had the same questions we have today...where do we get fuel?, can we venture far from home?, and so on.

I won’t be the first on my block to go EV, but I will also likely not be the last. Some of you guys have given me some good information. Thanks!

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The EV will become more and more visible and viable just as the internal combustion vehicles slowly replaced the horse & buggy. I’m sure the early converts to cars had the same questions we have today...where do we get fuel?, can we venture far from home?, and so on.
True, but it's easier to carry a spare can of gas than a spare charge of electricity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom