Electronic Hearing protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Walkers “in the ear” electronic plugs. Midway had them on sale $150.00. The only downside is the little batteries are expensive and last town to three days at the most.

Last edited:

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have the Peltor Tactical 7S that I bought years ago -- very hard to use with a long gun -- excellent for instruction -- you can hear what your student is asking -- or they can hear you without yelling.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/peltor-tactical-7s-classic-headset.html -- 1 square 9 volt battery -- the foam over the my microphones came off -- wind noise.

have the Peltor Tactical 6 also -- thinner profile than the Tactical 7, not as comfortable as the Tactical 7; cheaper than the Tact 7; 4 - AAA batteries; 2 in each ear cup.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...7FB-01-1-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780128&rt=rud

Peltor makes an different version for shotgun and rifle shooting -- haven’t used these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000X6I5I?tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Use earplugs -- still hear ringing sound all the time -- 42 years of gas turbine (helicopters) and jet engine noise.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always double up on hearing protection. I have a pair of MSA Sordin electronic muffs with the gel ear seals. I’ve taken a few 2 day classes and been comfortable wearing them through the entire day. The sound quality is definitely superior to my Peltor Tac 6 electronic muffs.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Pro Ears Gold electronic muffs. They were about $300 when I got them several years ago. As I remember from my research back then, the extra money gets you a few things. One is called “attack time” I think; it means the electronic valve activates much more quickly than on cheaper models. You may not be able to tell the difference; it’s probably measured in thousandths of a second. However, it can still be meaningful in terms of hearing protection.

Also, the on-board circuitry is more advanced. If you and I were talking and someone fired a round next to us, the pro ears will muffle the shot and leave our conversation uninterrupted. Cheaper models will cut everything out once the electronic valve has been actuated (or so I’m told; I went straight to the Pro Ears when I went electronic).

GHArms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Peltor Sport Tactical 500. I've had them for years, put gel earcups on them and they are fantastic. I paid $300+ for them when they came out- played with them at ShotShow and bought them that spring. Now cost $165 or so. They are 26db NR, they have bluetooth so you can listen to tunes or take a phone call with them on. They are a bit thicker, but I don't notice any problems shotgunning with them- they will bump my riser on my precision sticks, but hey, they shoot suppressed so like a drunken prom date they come flying off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom