Enfield No. 5 "Jungle Carbine"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a real one. Haven't shot it much. Accuracy is okay for what it is. Not as terrible as some sources would indicate, but there are plenty of better rifles if target shooting is your thing.
I found the recoil to be uncomfortable. Besides the fact that its a relatively light carbine firing a full-power rifle round, the rubber recoil pad is considerably narrower than the rifle butt, and just doesn't have enough surface area to spread the recoil forces very well. Perhaps when these rifles were new and the rubber was relatively soft, they worked better. But the hard rubber pad on mine wanted to dig into my shoulder no matter how I positioned it.
All that added onto the fact that ammo isn't common or cheap, and parts aren't readily available if something breaks, its about my last choice to take to the range.
Despite all that, its unusual, pretty cool looking, and a neat piece of history, so its a keeper despite the flaws.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of info on Gunboards about these. It appears to be about the most counterfeited rifle in history. Some of the conversions are really hard to detect.

I saw someone with one at H&H recently. Didn't get a close look, but these are neat rifles.

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its one of my favorite rifles. I dropped my first deer with one at 100 yds with 1 shot. Good thing too, mine does not like to chamber SP ammo for shot #2. The wandering zero wasnt present on mine, itwas probably more due to flinching at the recoil as a teen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom