Ever been asked to show paperwork?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today JeffSoward & I went to H&H to test some new .22 cans. He's got a spectre & I have a sparrow. I asked for lanes in the empty bay so we could check them out without alot of other shooting going on around us. When the dude at the counter found out we had suppressors he immediately demanded to see our paperwork. It wasn't a problem, we both had it, but my buddy was kind of azz whipped by it. The guy said "I need to see your paper work right now". Jeff said "you don't need to see it". He said "yes I do". So, Jeff showed him his paperwork while explaining that the only ones we're required to show paperwork to are ATF agents & Law Enforcement.

Who's right, Jeff or the Range employee?
Have you ever been asked to show your stamps?
If we didn't have them with us, then what?
Asked to leave? Turn us in?

BTW: Both cans were awesome:thumbup3:

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today JeffSoward & I went to H&H to test some new .22 cans. He's got a spectre & I have a sparrow. I asked for lanes in the empty bay so we could check them out without alot of other shooting going on around us. When the dude at the counter found out we had suppressors he immediately demanded to see our paperwork. It wasn't a problem, we both had it, but my buddy was kind of azz whipped by it. The guy said "I need to see your paper work right now". Jeff said "you don't need to see it". He said "yes I do". So, Jeff showed him his paperwork while explaining that the only ones we're required to show paperwork to are ATF agents & Law Enforcement.

Who's right, Jeff or the Range employee?
Have you ever been asked to show your stamps?
If we didn't have them with us, then what?
Asked to leave? Turn us in?

BTW: Both cans were awesome:thumbup3:

They have no right to see your forms, just as you have no right to shoot on their range, so your both right.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course they can ask. As a private business they can make conditions to use their facilities.

If you don't like it you don't have to show it to anybody but a Fed with the proper jurisdiction.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's not that either of us didn't like having to show it, we had it with us, no biggie. It's just more the way it was "requested" so to speak. Nobody likes to patronize a business & then get treated like a dumb kid. Had he asked, rather than just making demands, it wouldv'e been quite different, it's all in the presentation.

It's actually kinda funny because usually I'm the one quick to call someone out on being a terd, and he's usually the one smoothing things over.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
actually, they didn't ask about ammo.

This entire episode was completey not the norm. We go there quite often & really enjoy the range. Neither of us had ever had a problem & by the time we were done shooting everything had been squashed. No attitude at checkout, just freindly conversation. I was just curious if anyone else had ever been asked to show paperwork.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
actually, they didn't ask about ammo.

This entire episode was completey not the norm. We go there quite often & really enjoy the range. Neither of us had ever had a problem & by the time we were done shooting everything had been squashed. No attitude at checkout, just freindly conversation. I was just curious if anyone else had ever been asked to show paperwork.

Yes, every time I've taken a title 2 weapon to their range.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both times I've taken the SBR to H&H they are quite demanding on the paperwork... well I'll say stern. But they haven't been disrespectful yet. I have gotten the "so why do you think you need this?" which I find irritating. I don't ask how Ferrari owners justify their hobby, why are others so quick to judge ours?

Having said that I can see why they instantly ask (it is their property anyways). I wonder how many unregistered SBR's and AOW's already show up there?

solomonHK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ummmm, isnt the returned form w/ stamp considered a tax return form? In that case, isnt it subject to privacy?

I understand the range having rules, but...

I agree with Wall, whats wrong with "Do you mind showing me your paperwork?" Sounds like someone had the control freak bug up their rumpus that day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom