Ever been asked to show paperwork?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have to carry your original paperwork with you to the range of will a copy suffice?

I've got a multimount on the way. (should be here before the end of the year.).

Just want to be prepared before I go the the range.

My originals are safely tucked away in a bank saftety deposit box, and labeled as to which gun or suppressor they relate to.

Just had an inspiration and next project will be to include a photograph of the firearm/suppressor either in the envelope, or printed on the envelope.

I take each form and scan it (front and back) and then make a color copy (printing on both sides) and laminate it.

Some folks will reduce the image and put either front and back on the same page, or up to four form on a single page.

I prefer on form on one page, front and back. If I have four fronts and four backs, I can see getting some Barney type who can't figure out what goes with what.

I think that if there ever was an event that occured that required me to show an original, there would be attornies involved. Hope that never happens.

Dave

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I haven't been asked for paperwork. I likely would not show it to them if asked because I likely would not have it with me. I have duplicates of all of my stamps, but I very rarely bother to carry them with me. For what it's worth, when I do shoot SBRs or silencers at H&H, I don't inform them ahead of time, and so far, no one has ever asked me about it.

I realize that H&H can set whatever rules they want, but assuming that my stuff is not legit is not cool. I assume that they pay taxes and I assume that their automobiles are properly registered. Why should they assume that my stuff isn't legal?

I've spent thousands of dollars at H&H over the years, but I am becoming less and less inclined to as the days go by.

Rob

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize that H&H can set whatever rules they want, but assuming that my stuff is not legit is not cool.

I assure you, no one is assuming anything. This is nothing more than CYA when your livelyhood is dependant on a retaining a license issued by a federal bureaucracy.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot class III there alot. So much so, all they ask is which gun I'm shooting and later.......when a lane is open, tell me which lane I'm on.

Once they put me in the lanes in front of the bullet/safety glasses/check in counter. There was a lady range officer in there, and when I let the Uzi rip she went off on me.....I wasn't supposed to be in there.

I reminded her: 1. My Uzi is 9mm, so it should be okay to shoot in these lanes...you know pistol caliber.

2. I didn't just walk in here like I owned the range, I was PLACED here....problem???? Find me another lane!!!!

Like I said, go there alot, they don't even ask me anymore.

****My only issue is: When will they allow Class III rifle caliber guns???

Cohiba

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do believe I was in there when this went down. A co-worker and I were down sampling the good food and were over checking out the reloading supplies before heading out.

It was rather abrasive in nature when he found out the OP had suppressors. I was like DANG that dude ain't playing around about the paperwork!! I had to get back to work shortly after this went down and explaining to one clerk about available suppressors for AR10's.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always store your paperwork in a safe place and only carry copies.
Why you ask?
I was digging thru my NFA file the other day because
I wanted to shoot a thompson and a can I bought
back in the 80's
Now these papers are 25+ years old and I found they were starting to deteriorate.
So I made extra copies of all my paperwork and put them in another
file.
So handling your paperwork constantly would cause it to deteriorate faster than mine sitting in a file cabinet.

As far as asking to see your paperwork. If I owned a range I would definately ask to see it. For every legit piece out there, theres probably 10 illegit.
And as a store owner I wouldn't want the word going around that illegal things were going on in my store.
When I was a class 3 dealer I had my share of ATF visits cause somebody
turned in a tip that I was selling mg's and suppressors.
Finally found out after several visits, it was another dealer across town causing trouble. Whats interesting is he ended up going to jail for illegal class 3 sales.

Latest posts

Top Bottom