Everything you ever wanted to know about EMP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stumbled across some research papers published in 2010 by Oak Ridge about the causes and effects of different types of electromagnetic pulses including solar, nuclear, and non-nuclear emp weapons. It's extremely deep and highly technical but one can scan the documents and summaries to get an idea. It's not at all light reading (and might make for good sleeping materal..yawn....) but is interesting none the less so I thought you guys might like it. Enjoy!

http://web.ornl.gov/sci/ees/etsd/pes/ferc_emp_gic.shtml

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't understand most of it! Big takeaways I got were basically that the movies/general internet depictions are generally wrong. An emp probably isn't going to let the magic smoke out of everything. Sensitive stuff connected to long wires like transmission lines are most vulnerable in an average house but with sufficient warning, yanking your mains and unplugging everything you care about is an option. This of course assumes you are planning on bugging in where ever you are and that you happen to be home when the warning sounds. For geomagnetic events like solar storms, there might be as much as days of lead time while with a nuclear attack, you've got minutes, maybe. Anyway, just a fun exercise to consider as you put together your plans!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The EMP Commission study is a good read too...with the same conclusions.

Try a forum search if you want to read some of the discussions we've had on OSA over the years. Good stuff in some of them...and some wackiness too, but we're good at that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom