Factory AR or two builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote build 2 rifles. Then you can upgrade or change them as money allows. Or maybe build a complete rifle and then buy another upper in a different caliber or with a different purpose. Its kind of like 2 rifles in one!

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote build 2 rifles. Then you can upgrade or change them as money allows. Or maybe build a complete rifle and then buy another upper in a different caliber or with a different purpose. Its kind of like 2 rifles in one!

i agree.............build a lower with all the "best parts" then set up 2 uppers, do a SBR in 5.56 for close quarters work then build one with a 20" bull barrel for the reach out touch someone work (maybe a different cal. that uses the same lower/magazines as 5.56)

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's go back to the 9mm pistol we are to assume you have. Did you buy two Tauruses or one Glock?

Neither. Sig P226. Again, my gear is squared away. This was hypothetical just to get some action in the Prep forum. It's a valid thing many may ask themselves. Just wondering what OSA might think about it.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that there is something to be said for a factory built gun.

While a build is relatively easy, I'd think about watching the various boards and picking up a factory build in the 700 to 800 dollar range and building a lower with the "left over".

This way, you get a factory gun that you can be reasonable certain will go bang and you get the experience of putting a lower together. You can always swap the upper off the factory gun to make sure it functions properly and eventually get another upper.

Dave

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see myself ever buying a factory AR again, seeing how building them is so easy and your money goes so much farther... but for $1000, I would be more inclined to build ONE solid rifle and use the rest of the money for a halfway decent (i.e. non-Chinese) optic and mount.

What he said.

I built a decent quality light weight SS 16in for $650. For a budget of $1000, I'd do that and add a scope, sling, and light.

Besides, you're already packing a 10/22, shotgun, and you think you're going to carry 2 ARs also?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What he said.

I built a decent quality light weight SS 16in for $650. For a budget of $1000, I'd do that and add a scope, sling, and light.

Besides, you're already packing a 10/22, shotgun, and you think you're going to carry 2 ARs also?

I think I may be coming around to the build two mindset for today's class discussion. As far as carrying all that gear, you are 100% correct. A pistol, rifle and full loadout for a single person are plenty to hump around but I bet I'm not alone in having family who would show up "some of which are prior military", having more might be a good thing.

Also, the argument that some union guy can assemble an AR better than a motivated builder that takes their time to do it correctly is false. Yes, there are lots of booger eaters out there who should NEVER even try but it isn't rocket science.

All said, I'll be using part of my return to buy another M1A since my yard alone is 150 yards across, the wind blows 200 MPH non-stop and I can see for 3+miles in at least three directions. Situation certainly dictates as UMB alluded to in his questions.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Building is the best option. You lose a warranty with a factory built gun but ARs are pretty simple to diagnose. Just make sure you put an auto rated BCG in it, a good barrel and a quality parts kit. Many of the factory guns with low price points have ar-15 BCGs and poorer quality barrels. The new Ruger AR-15 seems to be the best M4 I've seen in the $600 range.

Palmetto's M4 Premium uppers are great. You can buy the completed upper, complete lower and the BCG/CH for right at $610 after shipping and FFL transfer. No installation needed, just assembling it as you would after cleaning. If you build from the kit yourself, you will probably save $50 or more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom