Falconry coming to Woodward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Beran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the stuff on their feet/legs? What is it for?

They are leather and brass anklets, during the manning (taming) of wild hawks they are used in conjunction with leather jesses (straps) to tether (tie down) the bird to a perch.
Once manned the anklets are left on but the jesses are removed during the hunt, while transporting the hawk in the field the anklets secure the jesses to the Falconers glove to prevent premature release and for safety reasons.

I hunt deciduous needleleaf forests mostly and it is very easy to lose sight of your hunting hawk even 25 feet in front of you so I attach a high quality hand made bell to the anklet and the tail, this keeps us together in the think woods.

Michael Beran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't they fly away?

Mostly because they are extremely intelligent animals.

Once they get past the manning period and they figure out that you are not a huge monster that is going to eat them (really that's all they are afraid of because they are at the top of the food chain)

The very next step is to convince them they can catch more food "with you" than they can on their own!

In the PIC below there is a squirrel in the hole on the side of the tree, without human intervention the hawks know they have no way of getting the squirrel out!

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_DSCF4377_0050_edited_1.jpg

But with just a little help
dinner is served!

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_CIMG3591.jpg

Michael Beran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you let the hawks eat the game? Do you get to eat the game?

Yes, I eat the game we catch, I make a dish called Padme' Jambalaya that is always a hit at any function we bring food!

I take the choice cuts of all the game and the Hawks eat the rest, they eat everything including the bones, teeth, fur, organs, skin and fur!

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_CIMG3572.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_CIMG3143.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_100_2209026.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_100_2170008.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_100_2163001.jpg

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man, this thread is awesome. I've always been a fan of falconry. Ever since I was a kid and saw the movie "LadyHawk" I thought that was just the coolest thing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom