Falconry coming to Woodward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_TODH049.jpg

That's my favorite pic thus far. Just great.

So all 300 birds will descend upon Woodward during that week?

I'm way excited about this. I fully intend on trying to get into it at some point in my life, once I have a place to keep them.

Do you have much upkeep cost and how big of space/ how much care is needed? I can't imagine your food bill is too high, especially in the hunting seasons. Also, you said a falconer's first bird is a redtail. Is there a rule about that or is that just pretty standard or are you assuming that is the case since they are the most common in these parts or......?

What sort of process is involved in obtaining and training a hawk? How do you capture one, how do you acclimate it to humans, and how do you make get it to where it knows it will catch more food with you before he up and flies away? I am pretty sure there are tons of us just hanging on your every word so you don't have to feel shy about sharing any and all the details. :D

This is way awesome. I'm very appreciative of you sharing not only your knowledge, but the upcoming experience.

Michael Beran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So all 300 birds will descend upon Woodward during that week?
Yes, between 300-600 birds are brought, the Falcons spread out searching for duck tanks but the eagles and hawks tend to over lap.
Do you have much upkeep cost and how big of space/ how much care is needed?
No, they feed themselves, 10'x10'x10', they need more attention than care mostly
Also, you said a falconer's first bird is a redtail. Is there a rule about that or is that just pretty standard or are you assuming that is the case since they are the most common in these parts or......?
I force my apprentices to capture a Redtail but the regs say Redtail, Redshoulder or American Kestel
What sort of process is involved in obtaining and training a hawk?
To sum it up it is positive reinforcement, you learn to operate within the hawk natural instincts and talents
How do you capture one,
I use a special trap I make called a Bal-chi
how do you acclimate it to humans,
You over stimutlate it by keeping it on your fist until it gets over its fear of you, normally one week
and how do you make get it to where it knows it will catch more food with you before he up and flies away?
The very first time you turn it lose if it comes back it is your hnting buddy to hunt with as long as you perform, if you ever stop flushing game for it ......well why would it hang around?

Michael Beran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
300-600 birds?? How many falconers do you anticipate showing up that weekend in Woodward?

There are about 5000 Falconers in the United States.

About 2500 are members of the group, North American Falconry Association
Between membership and foreign guest we have 700-1000 Falconers show up, duck migration will be a huge key, if a large number of ducks move in more Falconers will show.

Personally I come to these meets for the fellowship and crazy nights up telling lies!

Latest posts

Top Bottom