Family Says Moore Police Beat Father To Death

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it took that many officers to detain him they need to go back and redo "Force Control Training" because it appears they didn't learn **** the first time.

So you are saying that with the mother taking a video of the encounter that they should have chosen a pain compliance technique instead of strength against strength? Having the guy on the ground screaming while they have his wrist in an Aikido hold would have inflamed the situation IMHO. Part of the psychology behind the Aikido hold is to tell the person the that if they don't stop resisting you are going to break their wrist. Capturing that statement by an officer on video would have gone viral ...

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So you are saying that with the mother taking a video of the encounter that they should have chosen a pain compliance technique instead of strength against strength? Having the guy on the ground screaming while they have his wrist in an Aikido hold would have inflamed the situation IMHO. Part of the psychology behind the Aikido hold is to tell the person the that if they don't stop resisting you are going to break their wrist. Capturing that statement by an officer on video would have gone viral ...

I call BS... If applied right you can make him do what ever you want him too. By the way having 5 or 6 officers on him don't look bad????? Sometimes less is more.

michaeld

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Officer Minnard walks up, says, ‘Hey we are investigating a crime here, need your identification.' Subject refuses, starts to take off, gets into a fighting stance," said Adams.

"He took this, I'd say, a step back and got into a stance that was an aggressive stance," said Adams. "Officer Minnard grabs his left hand to take it back behind his back. When he does, the individual shrugs and throws him down to the ground. He pulls him with him and they go to the ground."

Cop is investigating possible crime, cop asks for ID to figure out who is who, cop attempts to detain uncooperative suspect, cop gets thrown to the ground. Fight ensues. Obese, out of shape, man tragically dies in the process.

People die on the crapper every day. People die walking their dog. It's not outrageous or abnormal for someone to die as a result of a strenuous physical altercation.

If you get into a fight with the cops, I expect you to lose. If you think you're billy-bad-ass enough to go up against the cops, you might try a little cardio and eat a salad first.

I'm sad for the family and I'm sad for the cops, but if the mom doesn't assault her daughter in public and/or the husband shows his ID and explains what is happening in a civil manner to officers responding to the assault, we wouldn't be reading/arguing about this.

This +100

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you think and what is reality may or may not be the same thing. The Supreme Court ruled in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004) that an officer in a state with a "stop-and-identify" statute may ask for name, address, etc. if the stop is "based on specific, objective facts establishing reasonable suspicion to believe the suspect was involved in criminal activity." Further, the court specifically noted that the statute in question did not require the suspect to produce any kind of documentation, just to answer the question.

So, I will ask the question again: does Oklahoma have a statute requiring a pedestrian (and I say that to distinguish him from a driver, who does have to produce a driver's license upon demand) to show his papers upon demand of a law enforcement officer? I'd also ask whether Oklahoma has any stop-and-identify statute (even one that doesn't require a showing of papers), and whether the officer had "specific, objective facts establishing reasonable suspicion" that the decedent was involved in criminal activity.

I'd like to know the answer to this question about showing one's papers also. The deceased may very well have said who he was, if so, did the MPD have the right to press for papers? The police apparently didn't see a crime taking place they were only given a tip. So, if I was to give an anonymous tip that a neighbor was doing something highly illegal in their home would that warrant a no knock raid at 3am? Or, if someone cut in front of me in the popcorn line and then I was to turn them in for slapping someone. Does that get them 'detained' until the crime is investigated and everyone (except me) produces an ID? IMHO, the lawyer's telling of events along with the officer's narration sounds a bit weak. Did he run or did he fight? How long was it from demanding ID until arm twisting? Showing the video they're refusing to release would answer those questions. This whole incident sounds like a bad Chris Tucker joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom