Farm pond crappie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to get the wife and kid out of the house last Saturday so we hit a little farm pond and caught around 50 or so crappie. Kept a handful along with the catfish I caught on the crappie rig.

fishing.jpg

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well done Kirk and family! Pretty fish and will make a couple excellent meals! Do you like em fried up? We have started grilling fish about half of time now. It is pretty good!

I have always had them fried....you will have to give me tips on the grilling. That sounds pretty good

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always had them fried....you will have to give me tips on the grilling. That sounds pretty good
I use one of those grilling baskets for my fillets. I brush the basket with olive oil and also the fillets. I liberally sprinkle some Old Bay Seasoning (or Cavendars) on both sides of the fillets. Close the basket up and put it on a warm grill. I don't know the temp as my grill is old and doesn't have a thermometer. A good rule of thumb is to hold back of hand over the grill and if it is too hot to hold it over the grill for a couple seconds, the grill is to hot. If you can hold it over the heat for more than 5 seconds it is to cold. Don't touch the grill, just hold it a couple inches over the cooking surface. Flip over about midway through cooking. Cook until your preference of done. I kinda like to grill some of it to a little crispy on the thin pieces. Give it a try sometime.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to get the wife and kid out of the house last Saturday so we hit a little farm pond and caught around 50 or so crappie. Kept a handful along with the catfish I caught on the crappie rig.

View attachment 158182
Very nice black crappie! Congrats!
The flaky flesh makes for some great fish tacos too.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking haul Kirk. I’m headed to the lease to see if I can get into the crappie. I’ve been up thee twice in the last week and haven’t had a chance to give the fish a try. Spent one trip fixing the feeder back up after the coons did a number on it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use one of those grilling baskets for my fillets. I brush the basket with olive oil and also the fillets. I liberally sprinkle some Old Bay Seasoning (or Cavendars) on both sides of the fillets. Close the basket up and put it on a warm grill. I don't know the temp as my grill is old and doesn't have a thermometer. A good rule of thumb is to hold back of hand over the grill and if it is too hot to hold it over the grill for a couple seconds, the grill is to hot. If you can hold it over the heat for more than 5 seconds it is to cold. Don't touch the grill, just hold it a couple inches over the cooking surface. Flip over about midway through cooking. Cook until your preference of done. I kinda like to grill some of it to a little crispy on the thin pieces. Give it a try sometime.
Yep Ive done this before

Latest posts

Top Bottom