FBI switching to 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering I frequently carry a Kahr (7+1) and just recently started carrying a .38 LCR, then sure, I will take the round I am more accurate with and have quicker follow up shots while retaining very similar down range performance. But since this is the real world I prefer my G19 more often than not with the excess capacity.

...and in the real world there are places where people are limited to the number of rounds they can carry: Hawaii, California, Colorado, Connecticut, D.C., Maryland, Massachutes, New York, to name a few. I guess if you never travel it is not a problem. But I was asking a real work scenario question.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and in the real world there are places where people are limited to the number of rounds they can carry: Hawaii, California, Colorado, Connecticut, D.C., Maryland, Massachutes, New York, to name a few. I guess if you never travel it is not a problem. But I was asking a real work scenario question.

I think only CO recognizes an OK permit anyways and even there the G19 is GTG.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is right, but you can still travel with a firearm to some of the other states. I go back and forth to CA regularly, and while I have to carry LUCC(locked unloaded concealed carry; i.e. in a lockbox), I can take my firearms with me.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of a drag when a real world example of "stopping power" fails too.

And similar to my previous statement - nor does a single incident prove that the same results will occur every time, but it does prove that the results observed can occur. What both do prove beyond any reasonable doubt is that there's no "magic bullet" that works all the time in every situation. I don't think anyone's arguing "stopping power". As someone once said...

Success in putting down an assailant lies at the intersection of physics, physiology and luck. We probably have less control over the outcome of a gunfight than we think.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose an irrelevant link is as good as no link. That article is about the 1911 pistol and not the .45 caliber cartridge which it mentions only sidereally - and certainly doesn't support your statement that its "inception was absurd" any more than...

I am not your history teacher - If you don't know that 1911 and 45ACP was commissioned, designed and produced together, sorry it's your loss. Browning himself was working on a smaller caliber at the time, but was forced by political BS to make a 45LC copy.

"Demand for larger calibers in military sidearms led to Luger to develop the 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge for his new pistol. This was achieved by removing the bottleneck shape of the 7.65×21mm Parabellum case, resulting in a tapered rimless cartridge encasing a bullet that was 9mm in diameter."

... supports the notion that the inception of what we refer to as 9mm was absurd.

You are right, I am not sure if 9mm is any better than 30 Luger or 7.65×25mm Borchardt. Early smokeless propelants didn't have much to offer so adjustments in cartridges had to be made to the cartridges to accomidate. Doesn't change the fact that early designs are pretty much perfect (just look at 7x57).

Yes, let's note the date. The current standard was published in April 1994 with Change 2 dated 20 December 1996, so your old, non-standard ammunition predates the current standard. This isn't unusual for the military supply system with stockpiles that go back decades to being used up, but even given the benefit of the doubt that's what it is, or that it may have been accepted by the military as a suitable substitute for the standard item, it doesn't change the standard. That's just not how it works.

I got actual data from 1987 issue and 2011 issue ammo - you keep throwing some papers of unknown origin at me ... YOU LOOSE!!!!

Even if you were right in "standard" - that still doesn't change that 45ACP 230gn +P is the hottest and heaviest 45ACP offereing, while 115gn +P is not the hottest (+P+) or heaviest (147gn) - apples to oranges ... and again in the test that has no documentation and blunt mistakes!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So.... If capacity was limited (can only carry 10 rounds), would you still choose 9mm?

I believe that 9mm is superior to 45ACP in ALL aspects of self-defense: concealability, weight, capacity, reliability, penetration and follow-up shots.

I still got concealability, weight, reliability, penetration and follow-up shots - so yes 9mm still.

Latest posts

Top Bottom