Federal buckshot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a true cylinder bore, you'll likely love it. It's like shooting a slug out to 10 yards. My 590A1 will keep all 8 pellets in the upper A-B zone at 20 yards. My Benelli Vinci isn't quite that tight so individual guns matter. But it's pretty good stuff.

I have some of the Hornady Critical Defense which uses the same wad in the classifieds right now. It's full power nostril clearing stuff tho.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a true cylinder bore, you'll likely love it. It's like shooting a slug out to 10 yards. My 590A1 will keep all 8 pellets in the upper A-B zone at 20 yards. My Benelli Vinci isn't quite that tight so individual guns matter. But it's pretty good stuff.

I have some of the Hornady Critical Defense which uses the same wad in the classifieds right now. It's full power nostril clearing stuff tho.
What do you mean by true cylinder bore

Sent via carrier pigeon

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An all around good load for sure.....It`s soft shootin` and barely opens up in close quarters.

102_9213.JPG

Federal 9 pellet Tactical 00 (top) and Federal 9 pellet 00 (bottom) from 16 feet. Mav 88 pgs w/20" barrel.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean by true cylinder bore

Sent via carrier pigeon

I meant no constriction and no screw in choke either. The transition seems to slow down the wad making it separate from the shot load sooner. My Vincy doesn’t shoot them as good with the cylinder choke as my pump gun. Also make sure your bead sight doesn’t stick out any inside the barrel.

That’s my theory anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I meant no constriction and no screw in choke either. The transition seems to slow down the wad making it separate from the shot load sooner. My Vincy doesn’t shoot them as good with the cylinder choke as my pump gun. Also make sure your bead sight doesn’t stick out any inside the barrel.

That’s my theory anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its a choked gun.
And ill have to check the bead.
4ccd6088281751528383813935c31754.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a choked gun.
And ill have to check the bead.
4ccd6088281751528383813935c31754.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon
Looks like it would have a screw in choke. Is this the choke it has? It is a "cylinder" meaning it has minimal reduction from the standard 12 gauge bore. (someone will probably have a more technical description) Read a couple reviews at https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005316440 for the choke in my picture. One complains about it doesn't hold a tight pattern out to 35 yards like he likes. Of course it won't, it wasn't designed for that. Others love it for what it is designed for, allowing shot to open up in closer ranges.
upload_2019-9-20_10-29-43.png

Here is a chart showing 4 common chokes and typical shot spread at certain yards.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like it would have a screw in choke. Is this the choke it has? It is a "cylinder" meaning it has minimal reduction from the standard 12 gauge bore. (someone will probably have a more technical description) Read a couple reviews at https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005316440 for the choke in my picture. One complains about it doesn't hold a tight pattern out to 35 yards like he likes. Of course it won't, it wasn't designed for that. Others love it for what it is designed for, allowing shot to open up in closer ranges.
View attachment 143281

Here is a chart showing 4 common chokes and typical shot spread at certain yards.
Yea its a screw in choke and it's cylinder as far as i remember.
I have a smaller house (longest shot is 10 ish yds)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Latest posts

Top Bottom