Fiction Book Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POPIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read and listen to hundreds of these type of books here are some authors
S.m.Capenos, steven konkoly, Joe Nobody, (very good) Glen Tate, William Weber, T.A. Williams,
GRID Down Series , if u like a zombie or two I started by accident reading John Obrien's New World series 10 books and found them rather fun reads.

POPIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a lawncare business I listen to one, have hard copy going and one on Kindle at all times.i do 5-7 week
If u like time travel books. Pm me a number or email i just finished some historicl trilogy. Very very good but long some audio books lasting40 hrs
And you Reilly get involved leaves u looking for next chapter.

POPIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ALL OF TOM CLANCY's JOHN RYAN SERIES my favorite of all. l buy all hardback for my library to show off they are big but they suck you in.

Find u can't find a place to stop

I have many others just PM ME

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven't read Andy Weir's The Martian, drop what you're doing and read it. Now.

It's that good. Seriously. There's a lot of really good (read: accurate) science and engineering in the book, and a lot of problem solving that leads to more problem solving. And Mark Watney is a smart-ass. How could you not love a novel that starts:
Log entry Sol 6:
I'm pretty much f--ked. That's my considered opinion: f--ked.
If you're a delicate flower and naughty words give you the vapors, it's probably not for you, but there's really not all that much swearing, particularly considering that he's busily going from one calamity to another in his attempt to stay alive on Mars (where he was left behind, thought dead).

I'm currently reading All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, the Japanese novel on which Edge Of Tomorrow is based. If you liked the movie, you'll probably like the novel, as the movie is faithful in spirit to it. I know I'm enjoying it quite thoroughly.

If you like military scifi, try Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series. It's about a young officer who is found in hibernation in an escape capsule roughly 100 years after he was thought lost in battle. Not long after he is awakened, the entire flag staff of the fleet is treacherously killed, leaving him, by virtue of his time in grade (he was "posthumously" promoted to Captain nearly a century earlier) in command of the "Lost Fleet" (which is cut off deep in enemy territory). In addition to discovering that he's a legend in the force, it turns out that the attrition of a century-long war has taken its toll on the leadership, and he's the only officer who understands strategic thinking, or even tactical thinking beyond headlong charges. This series is about how he tries to lead the Lost Fleet home; there are also other series set in the same universe.

If you want to try a different military fiction bent, take a look at Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series (the BBC/PBS series Sharpe's Rifles, starring Sean Bean, is taken from this series). Much of the series is set in the Peninsular Campaign of the Napoleonic Wars, but there are also a few stories set in India, telling of Sharpe's time as an enlisted man.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Would you start the Rapp series in chronological order (Rapps age) or by the published date?
I feel qualified to comment on this...

Read them in the order that they were published. Flynn ' s first book Term Limits is not technically a Rapp book but it does introduce most of the characters from them. Definitely start there and follow the published order.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carl Hiaasen and Tim Dorsey are two with plenty to choose from and all very good but hilarious detective type books. You can really get hooked on them. Dorseys characters follow through most of the series. Jimmy Buffett has some great stuff but it needs to be read in order as the characters and story line continue.

Coz

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deep Winter series is good
Lights Out
299 days was OK, but at times it seemed that they guy was writing repetitive stuff just to fill a word number order
One Second After is a modern day Alas Babylon. Both good reads.
Unintended Consequences.

The Hot Zone will scare the crap out of you. About finding and isolating Ebola. Lotsa stuff that the press isn't going into. Written well before all this stuff started.

Vince Flynn Series
Clancy is good overall. Only one or two stinkers.

Stephen Hunter

DAve

Latest posts

Top Bottom