Fiction Book Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are into Sci-Fi alternate reality stuff, a good friend of my Son is Taylor Anderson who writes "The Destroyermen" series. The plot is about a group of WW-II navy guys on an old Destroyer get caught in the space warp or whatever it is and transported to a different earth, populated by both humans and smart animal type persons. Great read from my viewpoint, I've read the nine books out and am waiting for the next one in May of 2015. Here is a link to his website. http://www.taylorandersonauthor.com/
Taylor is big into Civil War re-enactment, is a gun builder and an all around great guy. Jim

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucifer's Hammer
Prayers for the Assassin
Sins of the Assassin
Heart of the Assassin
I like the Deathlands series
I haven't read a lot of the Outlanders but that series seems ok.
Pretty much anything by Louis L'Amour or Tom Clancy

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One that I don't think anyone has mentioned and I don't think is mainstream would be "Normal" by Aaron Byrd.

Thought it was a really good read. Post EOTWAWKI.

I don't even know if it was published.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a heads up everyone.

Matt Bracken has posted that he is going to be offering the "Enemies" Trilogy for free Kindle downloads starting Monday.

Free downloads for Kindle will run November 24 (Monday) thru November 26 (Wednesday).

Good books and an even better price (FREE).

And if you don't agree, then don't download them!!

You are Welcome.

Dave

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven't read Andy Weir's The Martian, drop what you're doing and read it. Now.

It's that good. Seriously. There's a lot of really good (read: accurate) science and engineering in the book, and a lot of problem solving that leads to more problem solving. And Mark Watney is a smart-ass. How could you not love a novel that starts:

If you're a delicate flower and naughty words give you the vapors, it's probably not for you, but there's really not all that much swearing, particularly considering that he's busily going from one calamity to another in his attempt to stay alive on Mars (where he was left behind, thought dead).

I'm currently reading All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, the Japanese novel on which Edge Of Tomorrow is based. If you liked the movie, you'll probably like the novel, as the movie is faithful in spirit to it. I know I'm enjoying it quite thoroughly.

If you like military scifi, try Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series. It's about a young officer who is found in hibernation in an escape capsule roughly 100 years after he was thought lost in battle. Not long after he is awakened, the entire flag staff of the fleet is treacherously killed, leaving him, by virtue of his time in grade (he was "posthumously" promoted to Captain nearly a century earlier) in command of the "Lost Fleet" (which is cut off deep in enemy territory). In addition to discovering that he's a legend in the force, it turns out that the attrition of a century-long war has taken its toll on the leadership, and he's the only officer who understands strategic thinking, or even tactical thinking beyond headlong charges. This series is about how he tries to lead the Lost Fleet home; there are also other series set in the same universe.

If you want to try a different military fiction bent, take a look at Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series (the BBC/PBS series Sharpe's Rifles, starring Sean Bean, is taken from this series). Much of the series is set in the Peninsular Campaign of the Napoleonic Wars, but there are also a few stories set in India, telling of Sharpe's time as an enlisted man.
I checked this out from the library based on this, and holy crap! An awesome read.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to read some of the PAW fiction on a prepper forum's fiction section. I also picked up the entire "The Remaining" series to-date by D.J. Molles.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

Latest posts

Top Bottom