Field Grade Garands...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does that work? Do they still ship it or do walk out with it in hand?

First, you make sure your membership is in order, with all the requirements met ;)

Then you show up at the Store, ideally with an order form filled out except for the "Item" section - the CMP folks will fill that in. I'd suggest showing up before opening time so you can be one of the first ones in the door. Sign in, walk around and find a suitable rifle, and take it up to the desk for processing.

They can ship it, or let you take it, but shipping is cheaper. Otherwise you have to pay AL state sales tax. Then go home and have an adult present to sign for it when the rifle arrives.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perplexed, they no longer ship unless you have proof that you flew in and are flying out. So with that said, you'll have to pay the super high sales tax.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perplexed, they no longer ship unless you have proof that you flew in and are flying out. So with that said, you'll have to pay the super high sales tax.

Well, that blows. I haven't followed the latest CMP news since they ran out of SG's and I decided to focus on sniper models (no pun intended) so I wasn't aware of that development. I guess my road trips to the SS are now a thing of the past...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10% tax hit is pretty stiff...coupled with travel costs to/from.

Not worth it. The guns in the stores aren't that much better lol.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Service Grade a few years ago and the stock was sort of nasty with the cosmoline and dirt etc so I removed the metal and put the stock in the dishwasher to strip it-some say not to do this and some say it's ok. Regardless, it turned out great and I cannot tell the difference between the Service Grade and Special Grades I have. But those were the days they have plenty of Garands.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or, I'd make a trip to the South Store and hand-pick a Field Grade.
The last trip I made to the south store (late last year) I was seriously disappointed by what they had available for hand picking - about two dozen rifles, all rack grades and not particularly good examples at that. I'd take the chance on ordering a service grade before making the trip again.

Also, good advice on being there early. I thought a half hour would be enough but there were a good half dozen or so ahead of me, and as soon as they got in they had their MW wear gauges out running quickly through every rifle on the rack. Didn't see any of them buy anything either though.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have virtually nothing in store and the current mail order FG rifles are mostly VERY rough. I may order another FG rifle myself just for giggles as you aren't going to lose money, but I wouldn't want to chance it on my only Garand. As far as going to the store, bad idea. I have driven there a few times and it is a hell of a long trip both ways. Figure gas and possibly a hotel into the cost and you are way better off finding one local that you can see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom