Finally got a freeze drier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice, and darn sure an item most preppers would love to own.. @Thatgurl brought up these a couple years back..

I had been wanting one for a few years. Just waiting to see a lot more reviews. From my first impression it seems to be a quality piece of equipment.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all let me say that this was a major investment for us. I produce lots of food for ourselves. We can cases and cases of food from out garden. I usually have a beef processed every two years. Last year I had a beef processed and I processed a large pig. We have chickens and quail that provide lots of eggs and meat. We needed another method to preserve our food besides canning and freezing.

With freezers, even with vacuum bags , you get about 2 years before freezer burn starts. With canning a lot of the nutrition is leached out into the liquid. Not a big deal with soups and salsas if you are consuming the liquid also.

With canned food, there isn't much you can do to use in different recipes. Your'e pretty much stuck with what is in the jar with how you will have to use it.

With frozen food, you have more flexibility with the way you can cook it since it is usually in raw form once thawed. But your shelf life is limited to use before freezer burned.

With the freeze dryer you have up to 25 yrs of shelf stable food according to information on freeze dried food in mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. If you precook it then you can eat it straight from the bag after reconstituting. Some products can be eaten as is for snacks. If it was dried in the raw form, it has to be treated the same as any raw meat once reconstituted.. Freeze drying does not kill bacteria

You can probably find lots of videos on freeze drying on youtube.

If I didn't produce so much of our home grown food I probably wouldn't have invested in the freeze dryer. If you are the type of person that just keeps a few days of food in the pantry this is not going to be something you want.

If you produce a lot of your own food then this might be worth investing in. It is time consuming as each type of food takes different amounts of time to finish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom