1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Finally got a freeze drier

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by 2busy, Mar 12, 2021.

1. 2busy

2busy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Like I said, it is not for everyone. Prepackaged food is limited on selections.
    I know exactly how my food is grown ,what it was fed, how and who handled it, and no chemicals. I decide on what size and how much is in each package. I know exactly when it was packaged and how it was stored .

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  2. trekrok

trekrok Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Will be interested in how you think the food tastes. I've been shocked how good some of the backpacking type foods taste-- but sometimes, not so much.

2busy likes this.
  3. 2busy

2busy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Taste to me will not be the same taste for you. After reading what people on here like, I'm not going to get in that debate.
    I'm not making complete prepared meals, I'm doing single ingredients. This isn't for survivalist, bug out, hiking, camping. So don't expect any what I like vs what I don't like. I guarantee I don't like a lot of food that other people rave about. My needs and tastes are simple.

4. amcardon

amcardon Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My dad has a large harvest right unit that he has kept running 24/7 for about 7 years now. His only complaint is the oil filtration and pump, and that he didn't buy 2. Every couple months he'll send us a package with gallon bags of freeze dried fruit (that doesn't last more than a week in my house). Any leftovers, freeze dry it. Sale on anything perishable at the store? Buy it all and freeze dry it. He has a large chest freezer that he uses for "staging" (freezing on trays before going in the freeze dryer). We've considered one many times, just don't have the room.

2busy likes this.
  5. cowadle

cowadle Sharpshooter

would you please share some info on the bags you use to store the dried stuff in? do you also include an oxygen absorber? any info would be appreciated

6. 2busy

2busy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I use the mylar bags that harvest right sells and the O2 absorber.