Finally went shooting Savage 10SR 18" 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had a fix for some time and I took a few guns to make sure no spiders were in the barrel.
I have the most fun shooting my Savage rifles.
Here is my 18" barrel savage .308.
006.JPG

It has a tall Harris bipod and a Tasco 6-24x40 scope on it.
I had some target leftover from Banner.
I hung it in a tree yesterday and drove back 100 yards and placed a bag on top of my car(1995 corolla ). The bag was used under the folded shut bipod.
Shot 5 shots from the magazine as quick as I could get back on target.

The load is handloaded 168A max in Lapua cases 43gr of IMR 4064 and 210M primers.
The clincher is I have no idea how many times each case has been fired..2 had loose primer pockets and 2 had firm ones and 1 case I swear the primer would fall back out. I tapped it on the table but it stayed in.
No seepage around any primers.
Here is the target. Yea I hung it in the tree wrong. the way you see it is the way it was hanging.
I need to work on my left and right.. or stop using the top of my car as a rest :)
Or sort my brass.
5 shots from the .308 . Probably 10 seconds between shots.
I was aiming at the #3 Cold bore shot in that group also.
No shooting before I shot the group from this gun. Gun was not cleaned for maybe 30 rounds or so then stored for a couple months.
I just looked back and it was march 2 of this year since i last shot it. https://www.handloadersbench.com/forum/metallic-cartridge-reloading/reloading-for-rifles/801467-ruger-american-22-308-savage-10-heavy-barrel-18-velocity-differences

003.JPG

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find I shoot a lot of horizontal/vertical stringing groups with my sons Savage. I've tried to really pay attention to my shooting form but I have yet to figure out why. The accu trigger is fine but I don't like the narrow trigger shoe.

I'll be back out in a couple of weeks with his rifle, hopefully with a good load. So far the Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullet has been harder to tune than the Bergers I usually shoot in it.

BTW, the 1990 Corolla doubled better as a shooting bench than the 95 model. :thumbup3:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not had a fix for some time and I took a few guns to make sure no spiders were in the barrel.
I have the most fun shooting my Savage rifles.
I just looked back and it was march 2 of this year since i last shot it.
Given yer penchant for fishin', maybe ya should mount a reel on some of 'em... :D

Not bad shootin' btw. :drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Yea the 1990 corolla probably sat lower and had a stiffer top.
The top on mine caves in easy and I must find the sweet spot :)

I take my fishing poles deer hunting with me and many times ate fish instead of deer. But at least I ate. :)

I have been shooting 155 A-Max through my 308's and seen this paper target while cleaning my reloading room and figured I would revisit the load.
The paper on the left is 42 then 42.5 and 43 gr 4064 in winchester cases.
papers on the left are 42 and 43 gr in lapua cases.
Same primer same day shooting.
But all are 3 shot groups any may have been loaded single or through the magazine.I do not know.
But it does look like 42gr and 43 gr will need further testing at longer distances in lapua cases of course.
Crummy picture. 42.0gr in Lapua cases 3 shots measured .210" center to center. .390" for the 43 gr load.

001.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom