Finished Enfield Sniper Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally put the finishing touches on my Savage faux sniper and figured that I would post a few photos. I just finished stripping the finish on the mount and rings and refinishing them to match the aged finish on the rifle as best I could (easier said than done). I also added the angled sling loop trigger guard screw which was the finishing piece that I've been trying to hunt down for three years. BTW...the 1907 sling is installed incorrectly, but it was broken in that way so I left it be.

Right side of mount after refinishing...

Left side of mount after refinishing...

Trigger guard sling swivel (Parker Hale commercial version)...

Repro cheek rest from Numrich...

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You, sir, are to be commended. What did you do to try too age the scope mount? Rub it with fine steel wool?

The scope mount came with a semi-gloss black anodized finish that had to be stripped. I just used easy-off oven cleaner since the lye in the cleaner strips anodizing fairly easily. After stripping, cleaning, and prepping the mount I used Birchwood Casey aluminum black to add color back. It took three or four different applications layering the aluminum black and using 0000 steel wool and dremel attachments to add wear in certain areas. The aluminum black leaves a dull gray finish after being wiped with oil that matches the oil blackened finish on the rifle pretty closely. I used the same technique on the rings but just used cold bluing instead.

The patina on the Weaver K2.5 scope is pretty much a dead match to the rifle. It is even an early version that has a post and crosswire reticle that is almost identical to the original sniper scopes...if I can dig up a couple pics of the two I will be sure to post them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom