Firearm Boxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colddeadhands

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason I have saved all of the boxes my various and assorted long arms were in at the time of purchase. Over the years I have bought a lot of guns out of pawnshops as well. No used gun I have ever bought has had a box. Am I wasting my time and storage space by keeping these bulky boxes or is having the box a value adder? None of these are exotic, they are just utility guns, think Remington 870, Mossberg 22.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the original numbered box aids with the resale value of a firearm. I've turned down good deals because the original, numbered box was missing. Many gun manufactures make very elaborate boxes/cases nowadays. Why would you discard those? Just think of the value of all the old Smith & Wesson revolvers if they were still nestled inside, their albeit cheaply made, boxes today. I've seen those old blue two piece cardboard boxes from years gone by, sell for much coin at gun shows. I dunno...to each their own, but I do appreciate the original box whenever I purchase or trade for a firearm.

Always and of course, YMMV. :respect:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I helped a family with an estate sale. The gentleman had close to 90 very nice firearms, and not a single box. Comments from potential, and ultimate buyers was always along the lines of, “too bad he didn’t save the box”.

Save the boxes, they don’t take up much room!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I helped a family with an estate sale. The gentleman had close to 90 very nice firearms, and not a single box. Comments from potential, and ultimate buyers was always along the lines of, “too bad he didn’t save the box”.

Save the boxes, they don’t take up much room!

You don’t have enough firearms. Storing boxes and mags is killing me.

I don’t care if I have the box or not. Still keep them because some do.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will agree with my 2 cents, the box adds value. In addition to everything above, having the box suggests to me a higher level of care for the condition of the firearm. Not that I wouldn't buy one without a box, but including it is a premium and in the comments here you often see potential buyers ask if they have the box and manual.

Latest posts

Top Bottom