Firearms On Target - Dan Detmer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46and2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today my wife and I had a shotgun/clays class with Dan out at Tulsa Gun Club. I have shot a shotgun 3 times in my life, with no instruction whatsoever. Twice at backyard trap and once on a preserve quail hunt. My wife has never shot anything but a pistol. We did a basic course covering stance, weight distribution, mounting the gun, arm position, sights. Then we shot the guns at 18 yards, first by aiming using the front bead, and then by fixating on the black dot and mounting the low gun and firing. We both found that no matter the method, we patterned our guns the same way each shot. Next we moved on to the clays. We started off with some straight away targets. I hit every single one, both with the mounted gun and with low gun. He joked about making it look too easy, but I was thrilled. :D Then it was my wife's turn. She missed the first few, which was totally to be expected IMO. Once he got her stance and weight distribution corrected, she started breaking birds. Then he took me to some more extreme angles, and there I found my challenge. It was more difficult for me, but I began to find my groove pretty quickly. Then it was back to my wife, who elected to stay straight away. Almost every time she missed, we could see either a bad stance or poor upper body posture. With those corrected, she hit the birds.

Overall we had a blast. We used Dan's guns and ammo, and the cost was still well worth it. My wife said she had a blast and Dan made her feel very comfortable. That is very important IMO for someone teaching newcomers, especially females. I teach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to 7-13 year olds and train it myself 6 days a week. I know what it takes to be a good instructor, and Dan Detmer has those skills. I would highly recommend training with him, and I plan to do so again in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom