Firefighters watched a house burn down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. Didn't take long for that.

All I'm saying is every persons needs, no matter how big or small, are equal to the needs of another. No one person is more important than another. Granted, modern society places "importance levels" on people with their position/job or social status.

That and I felt like stiring up some s***. lol

That mathematically contradicts what you said earlier.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

don't let it bring you dowwwwnnnnn
it's only trailers burning
find someone who's turning
and you will come arooounndddd

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. Didn't take long for that.

All I'm saying is every persons needs, no matter how big or small, are equal to the needs of another. No one person is more important than another. Granted, modern society places "importance levels" on people with their position/job or social status.

That and I felt like stiring up some s***. lol

that hasn't been a point of discussion. the quote was about many vs few, not one compared to another one.

the trailer owner decided that his wants were more important than anyone else's needs.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not against being compassionate, and if they had gone ahead and put out the fire at their own discretion, I don't think it would be a sin. But at the same time, he had previously made it clear that he did not want their services. He had REFUSED to receive their services. This is not like a doctor walking up to someone choking and giving them the Heimlich. This is like someone telling the doctor specifically not to help him when he's in trouble, and then later pleading for his help, and even then, it's not a just analogy as no lives were in danger here.

This. ^^^

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I would want it on my conscience of just standing by while everything someone owns burns if I had the capability to help. I personally think that every one of those firefighters should have it happen to them.

If your employer called you in and told you they no longer wished to pay you but your services were required to keep the company running would you go to work tomorrow?

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I quit paying my electric bill then why does OG&E threaten to cut off my service??? That just doesn't seem fair. Surely they have plenty of paying customers they can pay my share. It's just not right.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had I been the fire department, and been there, I'd ask him for a check for all payments due since 1990, when it was enacted in that area. or whatever he owed to bring him current. $75x21=$1575+any fees incurred in coming out that one time. Surely if he had been paying the $75 all along I wouldn't be wanting the additional fees incurred but I feel it would be necessary in this case as a penalty for being stupid. If we could figure out a way to tax stupid in America we'd be out of the financial hole we're in by the end of the decade and well on our way to prosperity.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had I been the fire department, and been there, I'd ask him for a check for all payments due since 1990, when it was enacted in that area. or whatever he owed to bring him current. $75x21=$1575+any fees incurred in coming out that one time. Surely if he had been paying the $75 all along I wouldn't be wanting the additional fees incurred but I feel it would be necessary in this case as a penalty for being stupid. If we could figure out a way to tax stupid in America we'd be out of the financial hole we're in by the end of the decade and well on our way to prosperity.

This is what I was thinking. Charge for every past year the owner lived there and didn't pay, include the current year and maybe top one off for the next year, too. Should send a message to their neighbors to pay up and stay current.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may become more and more common. As minicipal and county governments continue to go broke providing services, even essential emergency services such as fire, medical and police are going to get harder to provide financially. My primary concern lies with where to draw the line. At what point are emergency service providers pointing a needle, fire hose or gun at local residents and saying "your money or your life"? What if a resident cannot pay the fee due to poverty issues? Are renters or property management companies going to be required to pay as well? Will it void insurance payouts if the homeowner refuses to pay the service fee up front?

Also, if you're paying a service fee, does that then obligate the emergency service provider to meet a minimum performance criteria? In most cases, emergency services are immune from liability in the event their services do not perform as expected for a community at large. When they charge an up front service fee on each individual property owner, does that strip them of their immunity? If I pay your service fee up front for a specific service, based on an expected response and you don't meet that expectation, I'm going to want my money back and more.

This is not a simple problem. In this case, I think the city of Fulton and Obion county are wrong. If Obion county cannot provide fire response to rural residents, but Fulton is willing to do it, then Obion county needs to pass a property tax initiative to pay Fulton for fire service. Expecting each individual resident to pay Fulton, when they don't reside in Fulton is wrong. Emergency services is not something we want to provide or deny based on ability to pay in advance by each individual. That does not meet the criteria of community service.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom