Firefighters watched a house burn down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will stir the pot at work from time to time and today was one of those days. I asked several people what they thought. I was the only person who thought the FD did the right thing. They all told me it was the FD's duty to save their things. Made me a little bit ashamed that so many think they are entitled to someone risking their life for them. One guy even gave me this example: "The FD not saving that guys home is the same me not paying a parking ticket then the cops refusing to help me when i'm held at gun point" I just laughed and walked away...............

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they could have put a water cannon on it from their truck.
pretty sure nobody would have been in danger.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By applying an across the board tax, you're spreading out the cost much more effectively. Instead of $75, it may only be $20 or $30. That may be amortized over the year, costing only a few dollars a month. People also tend to complain less when a cost for service is spread out, equally shared and covered under a tax for a multitude of services. To a guy living in a trailer house, it's a lot easier and less aggravating than getting a bill annually for $75 that basically says you're gonna be screwed if you don't pay.
IIRC The county voted not to levy that uniform tax.

Also, in this case the town is going to operate a fire dept. for the town, regardless of whether they respond in the county or not. It's not like they're going to shut the FD down if they don't get the county residents to pay. There's no reason for them to deny service to county residents if they're willing to pay the FD's rate for responding, when they actually respond (as in this most recent case). In many cases, homeowners insurance would pay for FD response if it wasn't provided as a taxpayer service. The insurance companies probably already charge higher rates in the county due to longer estimated response times and a lack of automatically provided service.

Not everyone who lives in the country has homeowner's insurance.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, this is sad and pathetic on the firefighters. I'm active duty and have been called some horrible things, spit on, and physically threatened because of my military service, but I still do it and will still fight for those people that degraded me. They won't save a man's house and property because he didn't pay the annual $75. I guess I never realized firefighting was a "for profit" organization. There was a time when people became firefighters(police, miiltary) to help others. They had the skills and equipment necessary to prevent him from being homeless and didn't out of spite. F*** those firefighters and anyone that agrees with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom