First day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First day I ended up going to the store to pick some stuff up. When I pulled up someone had a dead vehicle and I helped them get it going. I always try to help people out but know I run the risk of having an issue, had less worry once I was licensed. I still CMA but it has made it where I am less apprehensive when I do stop to help someone. Oddly enough when I was on the road and got to a state that I could not legally carry I also chose not to stop and help. Wasn't worth the extra risk. Thankfully I never have to go back there again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First day I ended up going to the store to pick some stuff up. When I pulled up someone had a dead vehicle and I helped them get it going. I always try to help people out but know I run the risk of having an issue, had less worry once I was licensed. I still CMA but it has made it where I am less apprehensive when I do stop to help someone. Oddly enough when I was on the road and got to a state that I could not legally carry I also chose not to stop and help. Wasn't worth the extra risk. Thankfully I never have to go back there again.

It's a dangerous situation in some cases to help a roadside vehicle situation. We had a member on here in the past who's brother in Florida was a victim of a woman luring men into a wooded area along a highway and then murdering them.
She was a serial killer.
I've picked up one person, but it was close to zero degrees outside with a high wind and the guy walking the road wasn't dressed for it. He had run his car into the ditch on a side road.
There were two of us in the vehicle besides him with both of us armed, and it didn't turn out to be an issue.
It's scary out there. You don't know who is just looking for a ride and who has ill intentions.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a dangerous situation in some cases to help a roadside vehicle situation. We had a member on here in the past who's brother in Florida was a victim of a woman luring men into a wooded area along a highway and then murdering them.
She was a serial killer.
I've picked up one person, but it was close to zero degrees outside with a high wind and the guy walking the road wasn't dressed for it. He had run his car into the ditch on a side road.
There were two of us in the vehicle besides him with both of us armed, and it didn't turn out to be an issue.
It's scary out there. You don't know who is just looking for a ride and who has ill intentions.

Its gotten scary out there period. Never know when you find yourself in a road rage with a bigger guy (not hard in my case), some drugged out lunatic or just someone who is looking to kill another person. Not to mention the notoriety of mass shootings now days. I really think the earth can only handle so many people on it before it induces mass madness and we are approaching that limit rather fast.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed, I used to pick people up when I was a teenager and move them along here and there. No issue stopping and helping someone on the side of the road. Now it's a different story. I still stop especially when it is cold. Got someone going again when they had a little baby on the side of the road and had stopped to sleep. Battery died and they were really cold. Couldn't even call someone as the phones were not working, can't remember if dead or no signal. Got the wife and the baby warmed up in my vehicle and then was able to get the car jump started once the rental company said it was OK. That was in New Mexico by Tucumcari.

Another time a couple with two little kids ran out of fuel trying to push it to the next town where it was a little cheaper. Had my can's on board so gave them enough to get to the station and made sure they made it. That was on the other side of Albuquerque.

Couple weeks ago when we had a bit of snow a guy slid part way off the road after popping up over a curb and I pulled him off of it as him and a woman who stopped to try and help were not going to get it moved at all.

Going out of my way somewhere however not going to happen. And if I don't carry I probably won't be stopping either.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, as the title says, this was my first day to carry. Didn't do much (in fact I think I cheated a bit, drove my wife to work, went to bass pro, came home, went and picked her up, picked up Texas De Brazil for SB dinner and came home) but still felt like everyone was staring at me. I know that will pass. Now to find the right rig and spare mag holder (hate having anything in my pockets so I was super aware of my spare mag).

Congrats.

I've been carrying a weapon everyday of my life since 2000. I still constantly make sure my shirt tail is hanging below my weapon and when I reach for something on the top shelf, I do the same. Twice, I've been in a situation where I had some liberal POS go nuts and make a scene (both times at Cabela's in Wichita KS too). It's just a habit I've formed over the years. I like not having anyone around me know there is a weapon on board until it's time to cut fence.

This is a good option for a weakside mag pouch. https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-1...keywords=safariland+horizontal+magazine+pouch

41Fq36Z7VdL.jpg

I have this and use it a lot even though I have custom leather rigs for just about every carry set up. It fits a 17 round Sig P229 mag, Glock 17 mag and down to a Glock 43 mag with a plus 1. Pretty basic and only 20 bucks. Biggest thing for me was it was horizontal and I could install it and take it off without taking my belt off. It disappears under a t-shirt.

Depending on your weapon you carry, check out CYA holsters. They are on Amazon too if you have a Prime account. 25-30 bucks and well made.

Lastly, this has been my experience over the years. The money you would spend on do dad's and trick parts for a weapon, spend it on custom leather or kydex if that's your choice, ammo and a few extra mags. A custom leather rig makes all the difference for me. Carrying IWB has absolutely zero "comfort" level. It's all about getting the lower level of discomfort.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to never carry a knife until I started doing field work for Cox. Now if I leave the house without my knife clipped to my pocket I feel naked. I surmise carrying a firearm will become the same thing. And yes, I've spotted those that are trying to conceal and failing. And those that are open carrying and doing everything to bring attention to it. Trust me, I will not be the latter. The only hard part for me will be that I usually tuck my t-shirts in and will not either have to wear a cover shirt or learn to leave my shirts untucked lol.

I have a custom IWB Tuckable rig from Ryan Grizzle for my M11-A1. You can tuck your shirt in with it as well. I wear this if I have meetings with loads of people all day and need to look more professional than an Under Armor Polo etc. I can make an M11-A1 Disappear with flush mag in slacks and polo or dress shirt. It's expensive, but it works.

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%2014%2034%2009.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2002%2C%2014%2035%2018.jpg

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see very many open carry folks anymore, but the last two I've seen were in Walmart with really loose nylon holsters

But the one just before these two, was a very distinguished looking older fellow, with a very nicely tooled leather holster holding a very nice blued 1911 with stag grips. We were in the customer waiting area of an auto dealer in Norman, so we had time to have a nice conversation. His reasons for open carry were quite different from the norm, but very well presented.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first got my CCW it was in 1972, and Washington State did not have a WalMart so I did not do the Walmart walk that seems to be the custom in the Midwest.

As I understand it, the Walk requires that you get a box of ammo, a carton of milk and an order of nachos. It is an amusing, if somewhat pointless tradition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom