First encounter with an OCer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I finally had my first OC encounter today. On my way to an overtime assignment I stopped at OnCue to get something to drink. As I'm putting my lid on my drink one of the indigenous fauna came up to inform that he too can open carry. I look down and "yep". He has his baby Glock all tucked up in his high speed, low drag Blackhawk Serpa holster. My reply was "Why, yes you can. Let's see your permit and a photo ID." He looks at me oddly but complies. I look everything over, hand it back to him and told him to have a nice day.

BB wants to know what kind of neglect this poor man suffered at his parents' hands that he thought he needed to point this out to me. As I have originally thought all along I kind of doubt this has much to do about self defense but a lot to do with showing how "cool" one is for a lot of folks.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"BB wants to know what kind of neglect this poor man suffered at his parents' hands that he thought he needed to point this out to me. As I have originally thought all along I kind of doubt this has much to do about self defense but a lot to do with showing how "cool" one is for a lot of folks."
I agree!!!

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not mandatory under the SDA to check his handgun license & state ID. I've had conversations with probably a dozen different LEO's [local and OHP] while OCing this last month... mostly small talk at the local 24 restaurant when they came in for their lunch and were sitting near by. Never have any of them shown the least bit of concern or asked to see my license / permit. While it does sound like your OC'er was showing off to you that he could OC ...it also comes across that you were going out of your way to inconvenience him just because you had the authority of your badge & could do it. He was obviously a newbie to open carry.... our area LEO's would have taken that into consideration [laughed about it later to their buddies] and have cut him a bit of slack for over zealousness and being proud of the fact he had a handgun license.... and maybe kindly let him know he didn't need to advertise to them or anyone else... that his weapon & personal demeanor while carrying it would speak for itself. And who knows, some people mistakenly think that every time they see a LEO [even if the LEO doesn't see them] that they have to make notification of having a weapon. A little kind education versus instant use of authority might have gone a long way towards making him a good permit holder.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David, do you know Glockcop?

Because you have no idea what you're talking about. He doesn't throw his authority around for fun.

The guy shouldn't even be carrying because he is obviously just wanting people to know how awesome he is

Did that guy remind you of yourself? - your adventure during Black Friday
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?156915-I-proved-OC-a-non-issue-tonight!

I'm just saying if people want to OC - be cool about it - not broadcast it over the Internet and to LEO's

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not mandatory under the SDA to check his handgun license & state ID. I've had conversations with probably a dozen different LEO's [local and OHP] while OCing this last month... mostly small talk at the local 24 restaurant when they came in for their lunch and were sitting near by. Never have any of them shown the least bit of concern or asked to see my license / permit. While it does sound like your OC'er was showing off to you that he could OC ...it also comes across that you were going out of your way to inconvenience him just because you had the authority of your badge & could do it. He was obviously a newbie to open carry.... our area LEO's would have taken that into consideration [laughed about it later to their buddies] and have cut him a bit of slack for over zealousness and being proud of the fact he had a handgun license.... and maybe kindly let him know he didn't need to advertise to them or anyone else... that his weapon & personal demeanor while carrying it would speak for itself. And who knows, some people mistakenly think that every time they see a LEO [even if the LEO doesn't see them] that they have to make notification of having a weapon. A little kind education versus instant use of authority might have gone a long way towards making him a good permit holder.
I see what you're saying.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Section 1290.8 - Possession of License Required - Notification to Police of Gun

POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED -

NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

A. Except as otherwise prohibited by law, an eligible person shall have authority to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun in this state when the person has been issued a handgun license from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided the person is in compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, and the license has not expired or been subsequently suspended or revoked. A person in possession of a valid handgun license and in compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry such concealed or unconcealed handgun while bow hunting or fishing.

B. The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. The person shall display the handgun license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection may be punishable as a criminal offense as authorized by Section 1272 of this title or pursuant to any other applicable provision of law. In addition to any criminal prosecution which may result from not carrying the handgun license and the required identification with the authorized pistol as required by the provisions of this subsection, the person may be subject to an administrative fine for violation of the provisions of this subsection. The administrative fine shall be Fifty Dollars ($50.00) and shall be assessed by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation after a hearing and determination that the licensee is in violation of the provisions of this subsection. Any second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be grounds for the Bureau to suspend the handgun license for a period of six (6) months, in addition to any other penalty imposed.

Upon the arrest of any person for a violation of the provisions of this subsection, the person may show proof to the court that a valid handgun license and the other required identification has been issued to such person and the person may state any reason why the handgun license or the other required identification was not carried by the person as required by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The court shall dismiss an alleged violation of Section 1272 of this title upon payment of court costs, if proof of a valid handgun license and other required identification is shown to the court within ten (10) days of the arrest of the person. The court shall report a dismissal of a charge to the Bureau for consideration of administrative proceedings against the licensee.

C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be made at the first opportunity. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).

D. Any law enforcement officer coming in contact with a person whose handgun license is suspended, revoked, or expired, or who is in possession of a handgun license which has not been lawfully issued to that person, shall confiscate the license and return it to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for appropriate administrative proceedings against the licensee when the license is no longer needed as evidence in any criminal proceeding.

E. Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed or unconcealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
**snip because it's already been addressed**

A little kind education versus instant use of authority might have gone a long way towards making him a good permit holder.

There was no "instant use" of anything. Just a nice conversation initiated by someone who was open carrying a gun. I've never had a conceal carrier act that way. :) It's my sworn duty to keep the general public safe -- just doing my part....

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am probably going to p1ss a few people off here but... I CANNOT stand these guys who took one government class at the local community college and think they are lawyers now. They go around harassing cops because they have nothing better to do than be a d1ck. The same people that in this situation would have pulled the " I don't have to do that, why do you need my ID? Am i being detained? I know my rights" Instead of simply just handing it over and being on your way. There are going to be officers who abuse their power, we have all dealt with them but if you have nothing to hide, why not just be cooperative. If the officer was exhibiting misconduct... get his badge number and call his supervisor... simple as that..
Just my 2 cents worth.
Police officers are here for us not against us, rather you like them or not is your business, but you should always respect them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom