First Military Surplus to Start my Collection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an Arisaka that belonged to my stepdad. It had been sporterized.When we tried to sell it, nobody wanted it. Gave it to my son and he finally sold it. We never shot it.
Ya if they're sportered the value is toast. They are great shooting rifles.

URL=http://s360.photobucket.com/user/Falconfansince80/media/pics508.jpg.html]
i360.photobucket.com_albums_oo46_Falconfansince80_pics508.jpg
[/URL]

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also want to shoot competitions with it.

K31?

Tell us a bit more.

What type of competitions?

Any particular time periods of history you are interested in?

Any particular nations?

Bolt action, semi-auto, or does it matter?

For your first, I'd get the one that calls to you. Wait, that advice applies to all of them, not just your first.

If you ever think you'd like a garand from the CMP the time to act is now. They are running low. It would make a great story to make the trek to Anniston to select your very own garand.

I'm just going to ramble a bit...

A lot of people start out with a Russina Mosin Nagant. They are readily available and affordable (but prices are always climbing). As for competition, that depends on your rifle and the type of competition. Some guys seem to have a lot of luck with them. The ones I have shot, on the other hand, don't shoot all that well.

I've shot in a few CMP Games in GSM matches. If you're not familiar with that type of match it is typically shot at 200 yards from multiple positions. GSM stands for Garand, Springfield, and Military Bold Action. You'll also see it as GSMM. The second M is for Modern Military. If these are the competitions you are talking about, the most commonly seen rifles on the line seem to be Garands, 03A3s, M1903s, K31s, M1917s, and Swedish Mausers. Modern Military adds clones of the M14 and M16A2 (those are the most common, there are others) in there but we'll ignore those for now since I presume you are wanting a true milsurp right now and not a clone of one?

Clones can be fun too, especially if you put it together.

Personally, in the matches, I shoot a Garand, 1903, and K31. I love them all. I do the best with the garand. The rear sight on the garand is one of the most user friendly and adjustable sights on a milsurp rifle. Between the other two, the 1903 and K31, on average I do better with the 1903 but my personal bests are better with the K31. The rear sight on the 1903 is a bit odd and some people prefer the 03A3 over the 1903 due to the more user friendly sights on the 03A3. I, and perhaps I am weird, like the sights on the 1903. It almost feels like an arcane ritual (that is a bit extreme but I can't think of a better way of saying it that conveys the same feeling) getting them dialed in, but when they are dialed in it is something special. The K31, I love the straight pull bolt. In rapids, if I am dialed in, I can get 10 rounds off with the K31 (bolt action) as fast as I can with the M1 Garand (semi-auto).

Still rambling....

My first milsurp was a M1 Garand. At the time my primary interest was American and WW2 so the garand kind of fit.

I've shot a Swedish mauser. It was very nice and very accurate. The recoil was pretty nice too. So far, I haven't found a Swede that talks to me, but I'm willing to listen.

That should be enough rambling for now....

Wait, an SKS can be a lot of fun and the ammo is affordable.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rgood, do you have the time and means to reload? I ask because it could be a factor as to which rifle would be best for you.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I reload for all my current firearms

OKC_Jim

What type of competitions? 100 to 300 yard bullseye? Basic rifles

Any particular time periods of history you are interested in? WWII, Korean, Vietnam

Any particular nations? Not really, leaning toward USA first

Bolt action, semi-auto, or does it matter? does not matter.

Basically I am just getting started and I sure I will end up refining what I am collecting.

The M1 Garand and the K31 have been calling for me to buy them.

I am going to check into the CMP program.

Thanks all for your information :thumbup3:

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M1 Garand and the K31 have been calling for me to buy them.

I am going to check into the CMP program.

Do check out the CMP (http://www.thecmp.org/), and do it soon. It wasn't that long ago that I started collecting milsurps. When I first started the CMP also had M1 Carbines. Now they are gone except for the few that they auction off. Garands are going quick. If, after checking out the CMP, you like the idea of purchasing one from them, act quick.

If you can make the trip to one of the stores it is a great experience to pick out the exact rifle that you want. With that being said, and perhaps I am lucky, I've also done the mail order thing from them and been completely satisfied.

K31s, if you can't find one locally, Simpson Limited http://www.simpsonltd.com/ sometimes has a good selection and you can pick the exact rifle you want. Sometimes their prices might be a bit higher but being able to pick the exact rifle you want is worth a premium to some.

Be sure to check out the CMP's Oklahoma Games, http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions/CMPGames_OK.htm. 2015 will be the fourth year for the games in Oklahoma.

It is a fun hobby (addiction?). Enjoy it!

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been checking out CMP. The M1 Garand is calling my name. I was hoping to handle some at Wannenmaker's. For the CMP, looks like I need to join a club and my CCW license should suffice for the Live fire training.

But the K31 is also speaking to me...

So after I handle a few at the show I will have to make up my mind.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been checking out CMP. The M1 Garand is calling my name. I was hoping to handle some at Wannenmaker's. For the CMP, looks like I need to join a club and my CCW license should suffice for the Live fire training.

A CMP membership is a good deal any way you cut it - you can get a M1 Garand for less money from them than from any vendor anywhere, as well as milsurp ammo to feed that M1. They also sell some parts for the M1 as well as some accessories and shooting paraphernalia.

I want to caution you, however, that ordering a M1 Garand from the CMP is something of a pig in a poke these days. In years past, your chances were good of getting a rifle that exceeded the stated grade. These days, that's less likely to happen, and you'll end up with a rifle that meets the grade but no more. I've ordered single M1's in the past and been quite happy with what I got, but if I place an order now, I'd get two or three rifles in the hopes one of them will be at or near the top of the grade.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the easiest to get would be a Mosin Nagant.

Back to the Ariskas.
I have one that is a tack driver too.
It has been sportorized.
I gave something like $50-75 for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom