First squirrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do people fire 22 up into a tree and not worry about people a mile away? I never understood that...the one time I went squirrel hunting with my stepdad, we used 20 gauge...Just curious...that is why I am really considering the air gun thing...quiet, challenging, and safer...
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?t=6ca8bfa8

Use this chart for consideration. I input the data for CCI Mini Mags, didn't factor in atmospheric compensation. By the chart, you should expect a max range of just under 1400 yards with a 45 degree angle of aim. well before the bullet hits the ground it is traveling practically straight down, and carries only 3ftlbs of energy. While its important to plan your shots and hit your target, its highly unlikely that you'll hit someone, and even if you were to do so while shooting into a tree at a squirrel, it would likely hurt less and cause less damage that throwing a rock in the sky and it hitting you on the way down. If you're shooting at a much lower angle towards people, roads, or houses, then there's a problem. I typically hunt in the middle of nowhere. But all things considered, I don't necessarily consider 22lr to be the hyper deadly mile shooting artillery round people have made it out to be.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good explanation but I know it can easily carry enough energy out to 300m...there have been youtube vids showing how powerful it really is...I am just real leery myself about shooting any rifle without a visible backstop.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course but kiddos can't always do that :)
Then they shouldn't be turned loose with a firearm. ;)

Dad wouldn't let us boys own a .22 until we were 14. I started hunting with a borrowed .410 when I was 10 or 11, and got my own for Christmas when I was 12 (the only gun Mom & Dad ever bought me).

I got to pay for my own .22 rifle at 14.
:drunk2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good explanation but I know it can easily carry enough energy out to 300m...there have been youtube vids showing how powerful it really is...I am just real leery myself about shooting any rifle without a visible backstop.
I agree with that sentiment and agree about the backstop. It is after all one of the basic firearm safety rules and good common sense.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do people fire 22 up into a tree and not worry about people a mile away? I never understood that...the one time I went squirrel hunting with my stepdad, we used 20 gauge...Just curious...that is why I am really considering the air gun thing...quiet, challenging, and safer...
I always took into consideration the proximity of a road, house, building within 500 yards or so of the squirrel hunt. Shooting at a high, up angle with a 40 grain weight .22LR bullet, even if a shot totally misses like a skyline sight picture (best scenario, rarely miss), I feel like any obstruction that bullet hits, leaves, branch’s on it’s way up and down slows and weakens it tremendously. No more dangerous than a falling pebble or piece of gravel. Shooting at a lower angle in a forest increases the chance the bullet will be slowed, weakened and stopped cold before traveling very far.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the idea of squirrel hunting called for "barking the squirrel?" In other words, aiming at the tree to throw bark/splinters at the squirrel.

The reason I ask is because we didn't have squirrels up in the Panhandle when I was growing up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom