First time to shoot at steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I was really wanting to shoot at paper but my buddy set up a plate at 500 yards .. I had cleared a path through a field with my geo metro pulling a cattle panel with a tractor tire on it a couple weeks earlier.

It was actually fun shooting that steel plate.. Never shot at a steel plate except close in with pistols and did not like that too much.

Neat to shoot then recover from recoil of the .308 and look through the scope at the dust the bullet makes as it hits the plate then hear BING!

I taped some copy paper to the steel plate and shot it and found that paper does not stay together,, the splattered bullet grenades the paper,, but that was fun to watch happen through the scope.

AAAHHH! destruction of paper and bullets. You can see the tiniest speck of red plastic right in the middle of the spatter spot where the Amax bullets hit the steel.

That is all.
500 yards was fun.. they also got some 700 yard set up and when it dries up I will try that.. need to make more ammo now.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I messed with some heavy steel today.

I put the heat to it and made a---------- receiver hitch from some of it and attached it to my 57 Chevy!
That's right my car now can tow trailers. Just as soon as I run some wires to make the lights glow :)

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I messed with some heavy steel today.

I put the heat to it and made a---------- receiver hitch from some of it and attached it to my 57 Chevy!
That's right my car now can tow trailers. Just as soon as I run some wires to make the lights glow :)

Sweet! Now you can build yourself a hand crank winch, with 2x2 up in the air to hoist a deer up off the ground to skin, then swivel to set it in the big trunk! Wallaaaaaaa! Now you will have a real hunting wagon.

Why don't you go ahead and put a Blazer undercarriage under it too? That would be real handy to have. A 4x4 57!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have thought I needed to raise it up higher and I did ,, but only 2"
I need some old Ford truck leaf springs and I will be set.. I would spring it a lot stiffer than it is now.. in fact if you get the shock angle right the stiffer spring pack will ride like a Cadillac. Not a new one as those are stiff.. more like the 1961 I had.

I have some 2" OD square to fit inside the hitch and I made an umbrella holder from some o9f it.. I can park my car raise the trunk and open that huge umbrella and sit in my chair and fish next to the river bank in the shade.

I think I need to add my 2000 continuous watt inverter and one of my big batteries in the trunk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom