First Trip To Fouled Bore Precision Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my first trip (of many more to come) to Fouled Bore Precision today. Before today, the longest I've been able to shoot my recently finished rifle was at 300 yards. I went with a new friend I met recently at the Lexington WMA, and we made plans to meet out at Fouled Bore. He's a regular shooter out there and convinced me that I needed to make the trip.

Long story short, I'm now completely and utterly hooked on long range steel shooting! With some fairly accurate dope data, we began with hitting steel at 400 yards. There was not much of a crosswind when we first started, and I went from 400, to 600, then to 1000 yards with hits on all three of my first shots. Granted, shooting conditions couldn't have been better, and I had good dope data to start. Shooting at these distances is a new experience for me. After I settled in, I started to get a little confident and began to miss some shots. I humbled myself, focused on my technique, and began hitting steel again.

I saved and labeled my brass from my first hits at 1000, 1200, and 1300 yards (pictured below). I don't know if I'm going to do something with them, but I thought it'd be cool to save them as a memento. I cannot describe how satisfying it was to shoot my rifle, with my own hand-loads, and hit steel that far out. I'm beyond hooked and cannot wait to go back out again! I highly recommend this place to anyone who isn't too terribly far away to come and shoot at this facility. I haven't found any place else like it.

long range.jpg
brass.jpg

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool! Tell us about the rifle, please.
Certainly.

The rifle is a Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range:
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
  • 26" Barrel - 1:7 twist
  • I've adjusted the trigger to about 2.5 lbs
Optic is a Sig Sauer Tango 4 - 6x24x50 - bedded the rings but opted not to go with the 20 MOA rail. Seems to be fine without it at 1200 yards. At 1300 yards, I had to hold up a few extra MOA in the reticle.

I also put a the Vortex Lo-Pro Bubble level on it. I found that my natural position had me tilting the rifle to the left a little bit (I'm a lefty as you can tell by the bubble level on the right side of the scope), and I've found this level to really help me learn what a true level shooting position feels like.

I decided to go this route rather than building one completly from the action. I've always been a fan of Browning X-Bolt rifles. I have a Rem. 700 action that I was going to build a .308 from, but decided to go this route instead. I'm glad I did. The newer Browning stock they've started to make (not using McMillan stocks any longer) is fantastic. It's not a light as the McMillan, but its extremely comfortable, adjustable, and still on the lighter side. It checked every box for me. The gun was about $450 cheaper with this stock than the McMillan.

edit:
and a cheap, $25 Amazon bipod!

Last edited:

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my first trip (of many more to come) to Fouled Bore Precision today. Before today, the longest I've been able to shoot my recently finished rifle was at 300 yards. I went with a new friend I met recently at the Lexington WMA, and we made plans to meet out at Fouled Bore. He's a regular shooter out there and convinced me that I needed to make the trip.

Long story short, I'm now completely and utterly hooked on long range steel shooting! With some fairly accurate dope data, we began with hitting steel at 400 yards. There was not much of a crosswind when we first started, and I went from 400, to 600, then to 1000 yards with hits on all three of my first shots. Granted, shooting conditions couldn't have been better, and I had good dope data to start. Shooting at these distances is a new experience for me. After I settled in, I started to get a little confident and began to miss some shots. I humbled myself, focused on my technique, and began hitting steel again.

I saved and labeled my brass from my first hits at 1000, 1200, and 1300 yards (pictured below). I don't know if I'm going to do something with them, but I thought it'd be cool to save them as a memento. I cannot describe how satisfying it was to shoot my rifle, with my own hand-loads, and hit steel that far out. I'm beyond hooked and cannot wait to go back out again! I highly recommend this place to anyone who isn't too terribly far away to come and shoot at this facility. I haven't found any place else like it.

View attachment 160401 View attachment 160402
I gotta get out there, really peaks my interest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom