1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

First world problems $1700 has to be BassPro

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by nic6, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You could always offer to purchase a large priced item for someone at a little savings in exchange for cash.

Bob wants a $999.00 gun safe, you negotiate with Bob to buy it for him using the points and he gives you $900 cash for the safe. You have cash to spend anywhere.

DavidMcMillan likes this.
  2. nic6

nic6 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I could use another. "But just a small one"...Said no OSA member ever.

dennishoddy and Aries like this.
  3. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  4. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    A couple of weeks ago I had 2 firearms in my cart and was trying to check out and every time BP said they were out of stock even though the site says they'd be ready to pick up the next day.

5. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    We have both an Amazon card and Best Buy card that accumulate points, etc. Feels great to pay them both off monthly and bank the points and cash back. Cool thing is I can buy gift cards for other stores from Best Buy with my points.

dennishoddy and DavidMcMillan like this.
  6. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Before I retired, a co-worker wanted to buy a new corvette. He went to the Chevy dealer, picked out the one he wanted, told them he wanted to pay with his American Express card. They checked and determined that he had sufficient credit limits and agreed to do that. Then he deducted the fee that AE would be charging the dealer (I don't remember the rate at that time) and told them he would pay that amount in cash. After some open jaws by the dealer, he drove away in his new Corvette, with a big grin on his face.

The fee is where the CC companies earn their revenue, not from the user if they pay the balance monthly.

7. O4L

O4L Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    So 3% savings?

8. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    He was the VP of sales, so he did a good negotiation job to get to the first price before the AE plan, and then saved another goodly amount by deducting the AE fee, and If believe the AE fee was 4-4.5 % at that time. AE has always been one of the highest fees and that is why fewer vendors accept AE. Visa and MC I believe are 3.5% right now.

dennishoddy and O4L like this.
  9. Rez Exelon

Rez Exelon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just because some people like Henry don't have self control doesn't mean that people using credit cards are sheep. I collect a few thousand bucks in free travel per year on mine. I also pay my cards off bi-weekly and haven't taken an interest charge in 15 years.

Back in the day, I used credit because that was how I had to finance things to live. Once I got to a point where I didn't need credit, I paid it off, and lived the cash life for 8 years before starting on the "let's make money/rewards with cards" scheme. If used right, I'm going to get a return of 2-4% on average for any rewards I make, and always make back the annual fees on my cards. Also, I travel a lot --- I get 2x-3x points running travel on dedicated cards(e.g. 20-30 points per dollar instead of 10 without the card). And because I travel a lot my cards get compromised more often --- for which I have zero liability because they are credit and not debit. I travel to foreign countries and never have to worry about forex, atm issues, whatever.

So yeah, just because some people are incapable of having "self-control" doesn't mean that others can't benefit.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Sampson, nic6, DavidMcMillan and 2 others like this.
  10. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    :popcorn:

nic6 likes this.