Fishing Line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to get some recomendations on fishing line for my ultra light fishing reel. There is so many types of line out there and you can drop a lot of money trying different ones out. I am looking for something that resists bird nesting, twisting up etc...
I use an spinning reel if that matters.
I also have been told that it matters which way you put line on but I have heard so many different ways to do it a person can get confused.
I am not the most experienced fisherman out there but I do enjoy doing it, that is until I have line problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm partial to Berkely Vanish or Maxima Green, with my preference leaning towards the Maxima as of late.

I fish 4# when I can get away with it, 2# in very clear water.

I always wet my thumb and finger, and apply tension to the line ahead of the reel as I spool it, that will eliminate most twisting. Also, be sure not to load too much line, that will cause alot of problems.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wet my thumb and finger, and apply tension to the line ahead of the reel as I spool it, that will eliminate most twisting. Also, be sure not to load too much line, that will cause alot of problems.

+1 the main problem with spinning reels is putting too much line on them. The way to tell is to spool the line on with the above instructions. When it looks pretty full put a small straight edge across both sides of the spool. It should not extend above that. You may have already noticed, that after you break off your line a few times, there are less line problems? That would be another indication that too much line is being put on.
Good luck on your fishing. I love ultralight fishing.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After using the near zero stretch superlines it's really hard to switch back to standard mono.
Flourocarbon is great, but it doesn't handle very well on light rigs....the "Vanish" handles a little better.

What I use are the gel spun lines like Berkely Fireline.
It's available in "crystal" now as well for ultra-light rigs (as the original "smoke" and "flame green")
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/cat.php?k=134073&sk=134070

It's very thin and sensitive.
The 8lb test has a diameter of a 3lb line!
Obviously that's superb for ultra-light rigs.

The Fireline knots well, is insanely strong, and most importantly has almost no stretch at all.....not enough to matter. Hooks pretty much set themselves when using this stuff, and the feeling transmitted through the line is second to none.

When you fill up a spinning reel, run the line through the first guide, then onto the reel, and lay the spool flat on the ground.
Hold the rod/reel about 2ft above the spool of line and give it about 10-12 cranks. Then lower your rod down toward the spool of new line.
If when you lower your rod you notice a bunch of line twist, simply flip the spool package over on it's other side and then finish loading the reel.

One tip to help prevent line twist on a spinning reel while fishing is to always close the bail by hand before starting to reel....never close the bail by simply reeling.
Another thing that helps is to never reel against the drag....if the drag is singing, stop reeling. You can either set your drag higher or play the fish with the rod more...just don't reel against the drag.

When using the superlines, drag setting isn't all that critical because the stuff is very strong and the likelyhood of breaking it is almost nil.
With those lines, you should set the drag so that it slips just a little bit upon hookset....that's to keep from breaking your rod!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a braid skeptic. I'm weird, I actually like a little bit of stretch.

J.P., how have you found the Fireline as far as visibilty, and spooking fish (talking about trout)?

I was always under the impression that it doesn't 'dissapear' as well as a mono/flouro line does, even though it may be thin. It is opaque compared to a mono.

The trout fishin' dude at my favorite fly/trout shop only reccomends 3 lines. Vanish, P-Line Flouroclear, and Maxima Ultragreen. And he says Maxima has always worked as good as any for him. I switched from vanish to Maxima because that is what he had on his bulk spool one day when I was in there with one of my rods and I really like it. Price is good too.

With how spooky clear water trout are, I'm still leary of braids.
It might be outdated thinking with all the new super braids out, but I still think I'll stick with my mono.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a braid skeptic. I'm weird, I actually like a little bit of stretch.

J.P., how have you found the Fireline as far as visibilty, and spooking fish (talking about trout)?

I was always under the impression that it doesn't 'dissapear' as well as a mono/flouro line does, even though it may be thin. It is opaque compared to a mono.

The trout fishin' dude at my favorite fly/trout shop only reccomend 3 lines. Vanish, P-Line Flouroclear, and Maxima Ultragreen. And he says Maxima has always worked as good as any for him. I switched from vanish to Maxima because that is waht he had on his bulk spool one day when I was in there and I really like it. Price is good too.

With how spooky clear water trout are, I'm still leary of braids.
It migh be outdated thinking with all the new super braids out, but I still think I'll stick with my mono.

I only fly fish for Trout and in that scenario I obviously use 100% Flourocarbon leader and tippet material....but that's a different ballgame.
I haven't found a clear need for superlines as tippet material just yet, although there are many who *do* use braided or Bimimini twist leaders/tippets.:anyone:

The reason I recommended the new "Crystal" Fireline is because it is lower visibility than standard braids or other superlines....it's clear. (or almost is...I couldn't exactly tell)
I should also mention that the Fireline isn't exactly a traditional "braid". I'ts more of a micro-fused process that produces a very different line than say the standard braided Spiderwire or Power Pro stuff.

IMO, there is no good reason to have any amount of stretch in your line. I feel that any real or perceived need for 'stretch' can be compensated for with drag settings or other variables.
After you switch to the superlines you'll realize just how many fish you were missing with mono...they will telegraph the slightest bump or nibble.
Additionally, they allow you to feel the structure of where you're fishing.
I can easliy tell where a rock-to-sand transition is, etc....much better than with any mono.

I see-sawed back and forth on the mono vs. braid issue for years and have done a lot of testing, but ultimately,for me, the attributes of the gel-spun lines outweigh any perceived negatives.

The only way to really know whether the new Crystal flavor works in regards to visibility would be to grab a spool and try it out....like I said, I only fly fish for Trout so I'm lost in that specific department.;)
I'd say it's worth a try.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After using the near zero stretch superlines it's really hard to switch back to standard mono.
Flourocarbon is great, but it doesn't handle very well on light rigs....the "Vanish" handles a little better.

What I use are the gel spun lines like Berkely Fireline.
It's available in "crystal" now as well for ultra-light rigs (as the original "smoke" and "flame green")
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/cat.php?k=134073&sk=134070

It's very thin and sensitive.
The 8lb test has a diameter of a 3lb line!
Obviously that's superb for ultra-light rigs.

The Fireline knots well, is insanely strong, and most importantly has almost no stretch at all.....not enough to matter. Hooks pretty much set themselves when using this stuff, and the feeling transmitted through the line is second to none.

When you fill up a spinning reel, run the line through the first guide, then onto the reel, and lay the spool flat on the ground.
Hold the rod/reel about 2ft above the spool of line and give it about 10-12 cranks. Then lower your rod down toward the spool of new line.
If when you lower your rod you notice a bunch of line twist, simply flip the spool package over on it's other side and then finish loading the reel.

One tip to help prevent line twist on a spinning reel while fishing is to always close the bail by hand before starting to reel....never close the bail by simply reeling.
Another thing that helps is to never reel against the drag....if the drag is singing, stop reeling. You can either set your drag higher or play the fish with the rod more...just don't reel against the drag.

When using the superlines, drag setting isn't all that critical because the stuff is very strong and the likelyhood of breaking it is almost nil.
With those lines, you should set the drag so that it slips just a little bit upon hookset....that's to keep from breaking your rod!

The part about reeling while drag is being pulled is the quickest way to twist the line. I use Stren lines almost exclusively. I fish some very clear water in the spring and I use the lo vis green in 6 pound line. I catch hybrids and sandies sometimes 7 fish to 1 compared to others using heavier line. If I keep an eye on the first 2 to 3 feet of line above my jig and re tie when there is damage I have no problem boating 5 pound hybrid on an ultra light.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.P., If I'm readin' ya right, your saying you like the braid for fishing blind, like for bass, etc.? For the sensitivity and transfer and all that.

The little time I use a spinning rod for trout (90% of the time I fly fish), I sight fish clear water, like you would with a fly rod, so can generally see anything before I "feel" it.

About the only other kind of fishin I do on a regular basis is pond hopping and some stream smallmouth (want to get more into stream smallies, haven't been much), and catfishing, and I just use what the hell ever on cats. I have caught them on thick nylon rope throwlines, so that tells me all I need to know.:D Thus, I just stick to mono on everything I own.

Sounds like the braided may be more suited for bass etc. than what I use my ultralights for.

(BTW, reeling against the drag is kinda like peein in the wind ain't it? Can't say I've ever had the urge to do that. I do like to yell "Get the water, she's burnin up!" when a fish is taking line. It is all the more funny when everbody looks and you tighten up your drag and land a 10 incher.:))

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.P., If I'm readin' ya right, your saying you like the braid for fishing blind, like for bass, etc.? For the sensitivity and transfer and all that.

The little time I use a spinning rod for trout (90% of the time I fly fish), I sight fish clear water, like you would with a fly rod, so can generally see anything before I "feel" it.

About the only other kind of fishin I do on a regular basis is pond hopping and some stream smallmouth (want to get more into stream smallies, haven't been much), and catfishing, and I just use what the hell ever on cats. I have caught them on thick nylon rope throwlines, so that tells me all I need to know.:D Thus, I just stick to mono on everything I own.

Sounds like the braided may be more suited for bass etc. than what I use my ultralights for.

Well FWIW, I also use the Smoke and Flame Green coloured Fireline on ultra-light rigs for Smallmouth in Gin clear stream waters....never a problem.

If the Crystal stuff is clear, then it really shouldn't be an issue. :anyone:
YMMV

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think there is a line that resist twisting, braided line maybe. It will happen. I put vanish on my ultra light setups for trout fishing. It still gets twisted up but I got it because of it vanishing in water. Current will twist your line up. I even use a good swivel for spinners and my line still get twisted. Make a long cast straight down stream and wind up. Hopefully this will get some of the twists out. I usually don't worry about it till it happens. Then plan on losing some line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom