Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Annie, as was said before, endurance training is generally done at a moderate level of exertion. Intervals are done with the aim of increasing speed and strength. Keep up the indoor cycling, but look at riding a bike outdoors instead of running. I've met countless runners who took up cycling as a way to rehab running-related injuries, but never a cyclist who took up running because of cycling-related injuries.

Funny you should say that. The PT guy suggested a bike since I live so close to the trails as opposed to trying to run. That Peleton bike (and subscription) sure has my attention, but for as long as I have this gym membership I'll probably not fool with it.

The plantar tendonitis I've been fighting since January comes and goes. The most concerning thing about it, though, is no matter where on my foot it aches it ALWAYS has this "tugging" feeling at the top of my Achilles tendon. THAT is NOT a good sign. Ortho says for someone half my age it can take up to a year to heal. I'm not half my age anymore. Lol

I'm still doing the PT exercises he gave me to do to strengthen my arches and the muscles in my feet and ankles (hell, might as well since I'm doing my neck, shoulders, upper back, rotator cuffs and hand grip stuff, too ... lol). PT guy says that this is one injury that never really goes away. That you can go for months thinking you are fine and then just step just the right way and -- oops, there it is again. That has been my experience so far. Just about the time I think I've made progress with it, I will tweak it somehow and wind up starting back at square one.

Pretty soon I'm just gonna be doing a regular workout! Haha!

But anyway, I've noticed that walking more than 3-5 miles a day will aggravate it, no matter how careful I am with my gait, but I seem to be able to cycle as long as I want with no problems. I'm averaging 20-23 miles a day, 3 days on, 1 day off, rinse, repeat, with an average heart rate overall of 135-140. Doc was pretty adamant about not getting over 150 until we figure out the swelling in my throat because I've noticed that sometimes when I'm working out it tries to act up. I do think it is getting better, though. I'm not having to strain to talk nearly as hard ... and Mugsy said I sounded better Wednesday. I STILL can't yell though ... :grumble:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Annie, get over that fever and good luck on the continued path to wellness!

Haha! I'm sure working on it!! And thanks!! Today has been my worst day overall since surgery. Even the day I went to the ER wasn't that bad once they pumped me full of steroids and got that swelling in my throat to go down. Today I'm just pooped.

I'm sure it will be fine. I'm just gonna take the weekend off and start again Monday. But I'm still gonna shoot the match at Tri-City on Sunday! I can hardly wait!!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small town 5k tomorrow that I plan to take fairly easy, then I'm running the Stars and Stripes Forever 5k at Lake Hefner on Independence Day. Looking to take a big chunk off my PR.

Anyone else racing around the holiday?
I rolled and fractured my ankle this week so no racing for me. No surgery or anything else but a boot, so hoping for a quick recovery. 6-8 weeks maybe.

I'm swimming though with a pool buoy. Better than nothing.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, no fever today, so no excuses. I dunno what the deal was but I'm glad it was quick.

Did my 2 hours -- one HIIT and the other a 4/3 interval. My heart rate is ranging from 129 (the "leisurely" part) to 165 (the highest intensity during HIIT, which is for between one and two minutes at a time depending on where I am in the program). My AHR is running about 146 during the HIIT and 140 during the 4/3 ride.

I don't have a clue what I am doing but I have noticed that these two workouts are not taxing me quite as much as they were when I first started ... so I have some questions ...

is that my clue to increase my intensity or my length??

or should I stay at this level until my AHR drops some more?? And if this is the case, what is the target AHR I'm looking for??

My last PT appointment is on the 7th. He's letting me work my weight stuff to failure now, which is good. But then I will start doing weight training at the gym and I have NO CLUE what I am doing. Should I start with the machines so I have some balance to work against or should I start with the free weights so I work everything both ways. I dunno if I'm saying that right. It seems to me that the machines only work one set of muscles to the exclusion of the muscles that COUNTER the ones you are working, where free weights work both the muscle you want to work AND the opposite muscles on the movement back to resting. Does that make any sense at all??

Jeez ... I feel like that dumb gurl who has NO CLUE what she is doing. Because I am. Lmao!

I hired a personal trainer to work with a couple times a week but she is kinda liken the physical therapy guys were -- she either doesn't understand I WANT to build muscle or she's afraid I'm gonna get hurt because I'm not getting anything from our workouts. Not the least little bit of muscle soreness. Which tells me I should be working harder. I am just not too sure how to go about doing it. Heavier weights or more reps. I'm kinda leaning towards more reps while my neck is still healing.

I'll talk to the PA, too, on the 20th. I'm just ready to get it done so I can start looking at motorcycles. I'm NOT gonna be the fat chick who can't hold her bike up at the light on an incline. :naughty::lookaroun:rotflmao:And I ain't riding ***** ... :hey3:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still broken, LOL. Last Friday it started feeling really decent with the swelling going down around the sprain. Yesterday I kept the boot off a bit (while seated) and really worked in getting some stretching and mobility back. I was cleared to swim so I got in 4 last week, and again this morning. I think that helps a lot to keep it loose and active. Still wearing the boot as prescribed though to keep weight off it and get around easier.

I leave for the Dominican on Wednesday and the boot is coming with me LOL. Wife is not thrilled! But I'll be able to take it off and lounge and swim so I guess I'll get by. Orthopedist appointment in 8 days when I get back to X-ray again and check progress.

Last edited:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, don't cheat. It doesn't take much to undo any progress you get with something like that. That orthopedic surgeon I went to for my plantar tendonitis surprised me with how long it takes a foot or ankle injury to heal.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, don't cheat. It doesn't take much to undo any progress you get with something like that. That orthopedic surgeon I went to for my plantar tendonitis surprised me with how long it takes a foot or ankle injury to heal.
Yeah, stick with what the doc says. Big setbacks or even making an injury worse than original can happen if someone tries to "tough guy" their way through things.
Best of luck with the recovery!

19:17 at the 5k yesterday, a 12 second PR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom