Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, blah. Lol, I have one more PT appointment Friday for my neck and then I'm on my own. I haven't done any weight lifting at the gym because I've been doing my PT stuff twice a day, even on the days I didn't have an appointment. The weights have been REALLY light -- 5 pounds or less. And some of them are still pretty difficult (3 sets of 20 will get me to failure at that 20th move on the last set) for me so I guess I'll stick with what they have me doing for a bit longer anyway.

The PA and I will have a LONG talk on the 20th because over the long haul that's NOT gonna work for me. I can pick up an 20-pound bag of dog food and a 40-pound bag of dog food but not a 50-pound bag of chicken feed ... or the big bucket thing of laundry detergent. I'm WAY too young to be satisfied with those restrictions so I need to find out when I can REALLY start pushing.

I shot the match at Tri-City Sunday and learned some things from that so I know what shoulder/upper body exercises I need to work on to put a stop to that stove-piping. I don't remember the guy's name who RO'd my group, but if you are reading this THANK YOU for your encouragement ... and your patience.

So ... did my 2 hours of cardio. Average heart rate for the HIIT portion was 150, average heart rate for the "leisurely" ride was more like 140 or so. I think I will keep my number there for another week and then start increasing the intensity of my "rides" because I really did feel like I could do another hour or so ...

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9.6 miles today, half at my lactate threshold. 70° half an hour before dawn felt oddly cool this morning.

I'm not planning on do wacka do this year any longer. I've decided to focus more on speed and trying to get a BQ in the next year or two (<3:05).

I have been feeling a definite pull towards running ultras, though. I'm certainly going to consider do wacka do or maybe one of the Pumpkin Holler races next year.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the things on my bucket list was to run a marathon. BUT ... I have an ankle that absolutely refuses to straighten up. Between the steroids, anti-inflammatory, and rest I've gotten since my surgery in May it should NOT be acting up like it is. The orthopedic doc I saw back in February ... or March ... I can't remember now said it may NEVER straighten up. I sure hope he's wrong but I won't run on it unless I'm sure I won't tear my Achilles. I'm more about taking care of myself now than I have even been in my life. I've always put my brothers and sisters first (oldest kid, bat-**** crazy mom), then my kids and work, then my husband. Now it's my turn.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Annie, you might see about some shoes with a high (maybe 10-12 mm) heel/toe drop. Shoes like that take stress off the Achilles compared to "flatter" shoes. Your ortho doc would likely be able to help with that.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't listen to him; he's just trying to get you in stripper heels.

Haha! Even in my heyday in was NOT what one would call graceful. I have NO CLUE how girls wear those things all day. I had sneakers I wore to the office. Only time you saw me in heels was when meeting with a client or going to judge's office. I got in trouble ALL THE TIME for being out of dress code. Told that particular managing partner when he started wearing heels, I'd wear them, too. Otherwise he'd have to just be happy with my tennis shoes and dress flats. Yeah, I didn't last at that particular job very long ... about 3-4 years IIRC ... He had SUCH a hard-on for me after that -- and not in a good way.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the things on my bucket list was to run a marathon. BUT ... I have an ankle that absolutely refuses to straighten up. Between the steroids, anti-inflammatory, and rest I've gotten since my surgery in May it should NOT be acting up like it is. The orthopedic doc I saw back in February ... or March ... I can't remember now said it may NEVER straighten up. I sure hope he's wrong but I won't run on it unless I'm sure I won't tear my Achilles. I'm more about taking care of myself now than I have even been in my life. I've always put my brothers and sisters first (oldest kid, bat-**** crazy mom), then my kids and work, then my husband. Now it's my turn.
Forget running!!!! Get on a bike and ride 100 miles (called a century in cycling lingo) in a day. Much more fun than running and easier on the ole bod.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget running!!!! Get on a bike and ride 100 miles (called a century in cycling lingo) in a day. Much more fun than running and easier on the ole bod.

I didn't run yesterday. Just lifted some weights and did an hour of cardio on the stationary bike. Walking back out to the car I tweaked it. I never know what's gonna set it off. I'll be fine for a day or so and then BOOM ... it'll bug the crap outta me for a couple weeks.

The pain actually started on the bottom of my foot (I thought it was plantar fasciitis). Then after the RNG in January it was on the top of my foot and my ankle swelled up and wouldn't go down no matter what I did.

Doc gave me some PT and stuck me in some shoes with inserts and that helped but then the pain creeper around from the top of my foot around under that bump on the outside of your ankle and I can feel it tugging at the top of my Achilles.

I've babied it for long enough I'm starting to think that it's just something I'm gonna have to deal with from now on. Especially since I'm carrying about 25-30 pounds less than I was when I was at the RNG. Just is what it is. I'm okay with not being able to run but I'd kinda like to be able to walk the zoo (or some other touristy-trap place) without it bugging me the whole time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom