Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, after a phone call from the doctor this morning to tell me to stop working out (FAT ****ING CHANCE), I went and got my weightlifting in with Chelsie and then did an hour of light cardio on the bike. Guess the stomach thing is a chronic condition that there is no consistent treatment for, except eventually a feeding tube, which means I'm gonna have to figure out how to get some nutrients in me and slow my weight loss. I've already told him they aren't doing surgery on me, so I have an appointment Thursday so he can try to talk some sense into me, I guess. I've got news for him ... lol

Since water, and the clear protein drinks stay down fairly well, I'm brewing me up some broth with homemade chicken stock and a TON of different veggies. I'll strain out the bone, meat and veggies and drink that, along with my multi-vitamins and electrolytes I've been using and see if that helps. I've found I tolerate fats better if they are in a liquid (like whole milk) so I'm gonna skim off the chicken fat but add some olive oil back in and see if I can up the calorie count that way.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd have to worry about winding up too skinny. Go ****ing figure. LOL

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, after a phone call from the doctor this morning to tell me to stop working out (FAT ****ING CHANCE), I went and got my weightlifting in with Chelsie and then did an hour of light cardio on the bike. Guess the stomach thing is a chronic condition that there is no consistent treatment for, except eventually a feeding tube, which means I'm gonna have to figure out how to get some nutrients in me and slow my weight loss. I've already told him they aren't doing surgery on me, so I have an appointment Thursday so he can try to talk some sense into me, I guess. I've got news for him ... lol

Since water, and the clear protein drinks stay down fairly well, I'm brewing me up some broth with homemade chicken stock and a TON of different veggies. I'll strain out the bone, meat and veggies and drink that, along with my multi-vitamins and electrolytes I've been using and see if that helps. I've found I tolerate fats better if they are in a liquid (like whole milk) so I'm gonna skim off the chicken fat but add some olive oil back in and see if I can up the calorie count that way.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd have to worry about winding up too skinny. Go ****ing figure. LOL
Annie. Sorry you're still having issues. I think, soon, this will be all behind you. You're doing so much better now and so let's keep it up.
Have you tried ensure? A guy that I work with had some extensive gastro (sp?) surgery and could not hold anything down but ensure. Kept his weight on until he could eat.
If not this, maybe something else. Ask a nutritionist that works with eating disorders. I know this doesn't apply to you but they have the knowledge regular DO's don't.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Annie. Sorry you're still having issues. I think, soon, this will be all behind you. You're doing so much better now and so let's keep it up.
Have you tried ensure? A guy that I work with had some extensive gastro (sp?) surgery and could not hold anything down but ensure. Kept his weight on until he could eat.
If not this, maybe something else. Ask a nutritionist that works with eating disorders. I know this doesn't apply to you but they have the knowledge regular DO's don't.

Thanks, Al. I appreciate the advice and will definitely check into it. I've tried Ensure and just about every other nutritional drink out there. I think that the milky type drinks make me feel too full too fast so I don't get as much down as I can with the drinks that are more watery. I've tried thinning them with water but, again, by the time I get all that down it's kind of a wash, pardon the pun.

Subprep had some really good ideas, like juicing to remove the fiber and then mixing the juice with a clear protein drink to get my nutrients and calories up. I'm gonna try that this week and see how it goes. I'm sure there is an answer out there for me besides the surgery, which has a fairly high failure rate and is a temporary fix at best anyway. Plenty of people live with this and do well once they find the right mix of food they can eat and nutritional supplements they can take, so I am in no way bummed out by any of this. I figure any day without a headache is a VERY good day.

All I know is I'm not gonna stop working out. I feel like a kid again -- I'm stronger, leaner and I sleep better at night. Certain other aspects of my personality :naughty::hey3::rubhands: have also returned -- I'm sure due to the lack of constant pain AND being more fit -- and I'm not willing to give that up again! :sunbath::rotflmao:

I almost feel sorry for the doctors now. I'm NOT a good patient because I don't follow orders, I don't take their word for anything, and I listen to my body first. I'm gonna be hell to live with in the old folk's home! :tounge::thumbup3:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Al. I appreciate the advice and will definitely check into it. I've tried Ensure and just about every other nutritional drink out there. I think that the milky type drinks make me feel too full too fast so I don't get as much down as I can with the drinks that are more watery. I've tried thinning them with water but, again, by the time I get all that down it's kind of a wash, pardon the pun.

Subprep had some really good ideas, like juicing to remove the fiber and then mixing the juice with a clear protein drink to get my nutrients and calories up. I'm gonna try that this week and see how it goes. I'm sure there is an answer out there for me besides the surgery, which has a fairly high failure rate and is a temporary fix at best anyway. Plenty of people live with this and do well once they find the right mix of food they can eat and nutritional supplements they can take, so I am in no way bummed out by any of this. I figure any day without a headache is a VERY good day.

All I know is I'm not gonna stop working out. I feel like a kid again -- I'm stronger, leaner and I sleep better at night. Certain other aspects of my personality :naughty::hey3::rubhands: have also returned -- I'm sure due to the lack of constant pain AND being more fit -- and I'm not willing to give that up again! :sunbath::rotflmao:

I almost feel sorry for the doctors now. I'm NOT a good patient because I don't follow orders, I don't take their word for anything, and I listen to my body first. I'm gonna be hell to live with in the old folk's home! :tounge::thumbup3:
Ha! Doctors are just overpriced over educated mechanics, that are mostly guessing.
You know your body better than anyone. You'll find what works so keep trying different things.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12.5 easy miles today. On track for a big mileage milestone by the end of the long run on Saturday.

My back/left hip is still causing some problems. It seems to always move after I get it back in place.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ran a 29 minute 5K last Saturday near the zoo. Got a rowing competition next Thursday so mild workouts this week and next to try and stay healthy. Gonna do the inflatable 5K on October 14th with the family so that should be a blast.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't run since then because I did something to my hip immediately afterward.

I think that's better now, but I still need to test it out.

My fitness has definitely helped with regards to my hunting trip. I'm currently sitting overlooking a small meadow at 10,000', and didn't have much issue climbing to get here.

Eta: I'm very surprised to have cell reception on the mountain!

e8f3a06b5ad3181e8a0ae764e7b1b152.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom