Fleshing & Preserving Hides

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy y'all,

I saved one of my deer hides from this year to try to make a blanket or rug and I also have a bobcat pelt. I rolled both of them up and froze them and would like to take care of them sometime before the new year. I've read up on how-tos and watched some videos, but I am not sure where to start with the equipment needed. I'd like to try to find some cheap equipment and want to make sure I order everything I need, so if someone has some experience around this, please let me know if I am missing anything.

1. Fleshing knife
2. Fleshing pole
3. Fur stretching board/wire (for the bobcat)
4. Big piece of plywood to nail the deer hide to dry
5. Alum powder (not sure if this is right?)

Is this the extent of what I would need to get these fleshed from beginning to end?

--

If anybody has the needed equipment near Blanchard and wants to loan it out, that would be cool too.

Be sure to post some pics of hides you've done or things you've made, I'd love to see them!

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also try F&T Fur Harvesters and Murrays Lures and Trapping Supplies.

You don’t need any Alum. You can make your own fleshing beam out of a 2x8 or even use a piece of 8”-10” pvc pipe.

Once you get all the fat and meat off down to the inner hide just slip it on a stretcher whether it’s wood or wire.

Be slow and careful when you get to the eyes, they’re a little thin and they tear easy.

Let it get pretty much dry but you’ll want to turn it before it gets too stiff or you’ll be saying a lot of colorful words when your’e having to fight a too stiff hide with grease all over your hands trying to get it right side out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom