Florida CHL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kiamichi xsquid

Hello. I have been living out of the country the past 5 years but will be coming back in hopefully the not so far future. I had a florida chl (using it as a resident in arkansas) but have let it expire a few years ago. I am from Ok originally and will be going back there and my question is does anyone know of any problems with an OK resident having the florida chl. In OK, I know there is none in FL. I would like to go that route.

Before anyone asks I would like to go FL as it is cheaper, my dd-214 serves as my training, and with that it's something like 111.00. Money IS a problem as I would not be living outside of the us if not. I would probably go oklahoma in the future but florida is expediting military and veteran chl's and they are for 7 years.

Thanks. By the way, hello to all you fellow okies.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. If you want to get an OK handgun license, other training and licenses are irrelevant. You take the OK course and get an OK license good for as long as you are an OK resident (active military counts as resident, dependents do NOT).

2. Oklahoma recognizes all valid CHL issued by a state AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN VALID. If you're trying to go cheap, AZ is cheaper than FL and as easy to get. UT no longer issues to OK residents unless you already have an OK license. I always recommend getting home state when possible.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

K

Kiamichi xsquid

Thanks for the reply. I already know other training and licenses are irrelevant to an ok license.

Thanks for the tip on arizona, it looks like possibly the way to go. Florida does not recognize non resident permits from arizona (did not check resident) according to usacarry so that's something to think about.

When I got mine before it was florida then later utah way back there, have not researched much how it is now as I am still out of the country. Also, arkansas reciprocity was horrible at that time until they passed a law to recognize everyone that recognizes ar. That's why I went florida then and never switched to ar.

On OKlahoma's web page it say they are good for 5 or 10 years, are you saying they are wrong?

https://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Frequently_Asked_Questions/#Q6

6. How long is my license good for?

5 or 10 years

Also, the link you posted states this:

"Initial Application 5 Year $100 10 Year $200 Renewal Application 5 Year $85 10 Year $170"

So I don't see where the license is good as long as you are an ok resident, unless it's hidden or something. Looks like it has to be renewed or it expires like a drivers license, or chl's in most states.

Oklahoma only recognizes VALID CHL's. Not a surprise there that they would not recognize invalid ones. Arkansas passed a law that out of state licenses with reciprocity would be recognized as there were problems with cops saying they would not recognize them because it was not clear if it applied to residents in ar with out of state licenses. Some other states were saying the same thing. 5 years has passed though so just checking how it is there now.

Yes, I stated I would probably get an OK license later on (If I stay in Oklahoma). With social security not going up and medical insurance payments doing so (pay cuts) every little bit counts. Being safe in these times is a requirement though as far as I am concerned.

Thanks again for the reply.

1. If you want to get an OK handgun license, other training and licenses are irrelevant. You take the OK course and get an OK license good for as long as you are an OK resident (active military counts as resident, dependents do NOT).

2. Oklahoma recognizes all valid CHL issued by a state AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN VALID. If you're trying to go cheap, AZ is cheaper than FL and as easy to get. UT no longer issues to OK residents unless you already have an OK license. I always recommend getting home state when possible.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I don't see where the license is good as long as you are an ok resident, unless it's hidden or som

Oklahoma does not have non-resident licenses. If you get an OK handgun license and move to TX next year, and get a TX driver's license, you MUST return you OK handgun license to OSBI since it is no longer valid. Otherwise it will be revoked and you will have that on your record: remember the question on carry license applications "Have you ever had your carry license revoked?"

Perhaps it would be clearer to you this way: The OK handgun license is valid until the date shown on the license or until you cease to be an Oklahoma resident, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

A fellow from OK moved to Kansas, and since the date on his OK carry license was next year, kept carrying in Kansas. When he got picked up in Kansas with a Kansas address and an OK CHL, his OK CHL was revoked and he was charged in Kansas for carrying without a license.
The handgunlaw.us site I gave you has a list of which states have non-resident licenses.

23. I have moved out of state, is my permit still valid?

In order to retain eligibility for an SDA permit, you must maintain a residence in Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act, the term residency shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card, and physically maintains a residence in this state or a person who has or is the spouse of someone who has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency.

26. Are non-residents allowed to have an Oklahoma SDA license?

No. In order to be eligible for an SDA license you must be a resident of Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term resident is anyone who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card, and physically maintains a residence in this state, or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where residency is claimed.

K

Kiamichi xsquid

Oklahoma does not have non-resident licenses.

Yes, this I know. There never was a question of that.

If you get an OK handgun license and move to TX next year, and get a TX driver's license, you MUST return you OK handgun license to OSBI since it is no longer valid. Otherwise it will be revoked and you will have that on your record: remember the question on carry license applications "Have you ever had your carry license revoked?"

Perhaps it would be clearer to you this way: The OK handgun license is valid until the date shown on the license or until you cease to be an Oklahoma resident, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

A fellow from OK moved to Kansas, and since the date on his OK carry license was next year, kept carrying in Kansas. When he got picked up in Kansas with a Kansas address and an OK CHL, his OK CHL was revoked and he was charged in Kansas for carrying without a license.
The handgunlaw.us site I gave you has a list of which states have non-resident licenses.

Of course, there is no question about that. I have never heard of being able to take the chl of a state that did not allow non residents to have them into a different state to reside. I never had any questions at all on that and as I said I had chl's for years. It's just how you said the ok chl was good as long as you are an ok resident. It is not, you can be an ok resident all of your life and it will still expire or have to be renewed.

You take the OK course and get an OK license good for as long as you are an OK resident

I think that would throw anyone off.

Yes, it would be clearer to anyone stated that way.

It's getting off track though. I was just asking if there is any problem with an oklahoma resident holding a florida license. There used to be problems in some states early on. I already know the other stuff, I had a chl for many years and have customized a lot of 1911's. I'm just checking on what has happened in oklahoma pertaining to this particluar issue since i have been gone.

Back in earlier years of shall issue and people with out of state chl's there was a lot bigger problem with police saying "this is no good here because your license does not match your id". Things may be a lot different now, I have been gone and that's why I am asking. Just like when I was in the military (12 years) and on my harleys I had cops in other states try to give me a ticket with my OK license and military ID card. Just trying to findo ut if cops have gotten more enlightened on carry laws.

Also as a side note at least florida does not have a non resident license. It's the same license for everyone you just do not have to be a resident to have one.....unless they have changed in the last few years and I doubt that.

Thank you for the posts, it's just become kind of an odd thread. Miscommunication I guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom