Fly fishing gear appriasel and sales ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My wife's late stepfather had a lot of high end fly fishing gear that her mom would like to sell. Is their anyone in the state that would take on appraising and selling on a commission basis or maybe make an offer to buy the complete collection? He spent 20 years in the Air Force and several more as a flight systems inspector for the FAA before he passed from cancer in 2012 and fly fishing every where he went was his thing. I know i saw a couple very old Japanese fly rods in wooded cases among the cases and cases of rods and there are at least two big boxes full of reels all individually cased. I know nothing of fly fishing and haven't any idea where to start.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contact Tom at Backwoods in OKC. He probably can or knows someone who can. He’s an avid fly fisherman and outfitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seconds on Tom at backwoods.

Some of the Japanese rods in wooden boxes can be valuable as collectors items. Depends on who built them. Mostly split bamboo rods. Most will be too old and brittle to throw but collectors like them.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seconds on Tom at backwoods.

Some of the Japanese rods in wooden boxes can be valuable as collectors items. Depends on who built them. Mostly split bamboo rods. Most will be too old and brittle to throw but collectors like them.
I'll also note that some aren't worth but $40, though still a really cool showpiece. Selling as a lot will be easier, but you'll take a hit on overall cost. If piecing it out, here or Facebook marketplace can move items quickly.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll also note that some aren't worth but $40, though still a really cool showpiece. Selling as a lot will be easier, but you'll take a hit on overall cost. If piecing out out, here or Facebook marketplace can move items quickly.
Correct on all counts. The early Japanese fiberglass rods aren't worth anything but talking points that you have one in a unique wood box.
The really valuable rods were made by just a couple of rod builders. The rest were also rans in the business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom