Fly Fishing the Upper Illinois for Smallmouth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never fly fished for small mouth and want to try the upper illinois. I have done some research and located several places recommended starting with the Chewy Bridge. I will be wade fishing and from what I’ve read I would be OK with Woolly Buggers, muddled minnows etc. I have some small poppers If that would work. Most of my fly fishing is for trout so most of my flies are trout related. Any suggestions or input is appreciated. Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The main diet of smallmouth is crayfish and minnows.
Stick with the colors resembling either and you should be good.
Take pics and let us know how you did.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thye like orange and black or yellow and black wooly buggers down here on Mt. Fork river. Unfortunately the dang river is surrounded by trees that lean out over the water making fly casting tough. An old school 6" plain silver rapala minnow chunked in the roughest water you can find does pretty good too.,

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been molding a 2 1/2" black Hellgrammite for fly fishing for small mouth bass, and it works extremely well in any lake or river that holds small mouth bass.

I add a tungsten bead to a size #2 Gamakatsu Carp hook, and hook the Hellgrammite lure through the center of the head. I also tie the hook on with a loop knot, which allows the lure to swim naturally in the rivers current.

IMG_20210401_115844.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are excellent streamers for small mouth bass.

Screenshot_20210329-201531~2.png

Here is a trout that weighed a little over 2 pounds that I caught on the above posted Hellgrammite lure when fishing for small mouth bass.

IMG_20210204_104814.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom