FN Browning Hi Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's because like other really quality guns, from back when they made them, like the Hk P7, Walther P5, and S&W 3rd Gen Pistols, for example, they aren't as cheap to make as a modern polymer pistol. Who wants to spend twice as much, or more, when you can just a get a Glock, M&P, or any of the many others now? I think the manufacturers must make a lot more per unit on the poly guns too.

Sad...

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because like other really quality guns, from back when they made them, like the Hk P7, Walther P5, and S&W 3rd Gen Pistols, for example, they aren't as cheap to make as a modern polymer pistol. Who wants to spend twice as much, or more, when you can just a get a Glock, M&P, or any of the many others now? I think the manufacturers must make a lot more per unit on the poly guns too.

Sad...

Me.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may also want to consider sending your slide to Novak's for milling and sight installation. I believe their pricing to be fair. Their turnaround time is remarkable. They milled the slide of my FEG and installed sights last fall and I was very pleased with the work. They did refinish the entire slide in flat black.

I shipped the slide from my Kareen to them recently. It was delivered to them on Friday (5/01/20.) They called me for payment when the work was completed on Tuesday (5/05/20.) I should have it back on 5/08/20.

In both instances, I had them mill the slide for the sights, install their "LoMount Carry Browning MKII Plain Black" rear sight and Novak Brass Bead Front sight. The total cost for the work and return shipping in each case has been $217.90.

Here is my FEG after getting it back from Novak's:
zipty6.com_bhp_FEGa09SM.jpg

zipty6.com_bhp_FEGa08SM.jpg

I have installed the SFS system in both of my Hi Power clones and they both have the C&S Wide Trigger now as well.
Very nice. The FEG Hi Power clones are underappreciated, but they are fine weapons. I once had a P9M that was as accurate and reliable as any of the many Browning H-Ps I have owned over the years. The SFS system is also underrated, though it is undoubtedly more popular now than when FN built them into factory guns (2003-2004). These days I doubt I'd carry a Hi Power of any sort without the SFS system.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a follow-up on my previous post regarding Novak's. I got the slide to my Kareen back. As expected, the new sights are very well done. On interest to me was the fact that they re-blued the entire slide on the FEG that I sent them last October but not on the Kareen. Note the matte finish on the slide in the back vs the original blue on the slide in the front:
Clones01SM.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because like other really quality guns, from back when they made them, like the Hk P7, Walther P5, and S&W 3rd Gen Pistols, for example, they aren't as cheap to make as a modern polymer pistol.
According to Ian at Forgotten Weapons, the P7's price has less to do with the cost of making the pistol and more to do with HK trying to position themselves as a premium firearms manufacturer. Basically, the original PSP wasn't any more expensive than the other wundernines, but HK kept ratcheting up the price to put it in a premium price range (IIRC, he said it started out in the vicinity of $300, and ended up well over $800). It's the same thing Apple did--they could sell their stuff a lot cheaper, but they want to maintain their high-end cachet.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I had a BHP. I got hard up for money and had to sell it, and I hated to do it. I bought it because a buddy had it for sale and let me shoot it, and it was a sweet-shooting little tack driver for me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@SoonerP226, I'd like to figure out a way translate the above into today's dollars and compare manufacturing methods of now vs then at the same time. I think I've seen in several places that it costs less than $100 to make a Glock; which then sells new for say...$525 on sale. I just wonder what it would cost Hk to start making the P7 again?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@SoonerP226, I'd like to figure out a way translate the above into today's dollars and compare manufacturing methods of now vs then at the same time. I think I've seen in several places that it costs less than $100 to make a Glock; which then sells new for say...$525 on sale. I just wonder what it would cost Hk to start making the P7 again?
I'd be the first one in line to get a P7 if they ever decide to make them again. I bought one about 6 years ago at a bargain, then had to end up selling it (along with several other firearms) to cover some medical bills. That P7 is one of my all time favorite firearms. Prices on those have gone nuts in the past couple of years.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I like it @okierider. Those grips are awesome. I’ve got a set of herrett’s on mine but that don’t have the character of your grips. And for the record, there is not a single plastic gun in my safe. Steel and wood for me!

Latest posts

Top Bottom