Focusing on the front sight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably old news to most here but it proves to me that old dogs can in fact learn new tricks.

Old habits are hard to break but I started forcing myself to really focus on the front sight (letting the target blur) a few months back and I must say that my hits on the 25 yd. gongs come easier, even on the 6 incher.......ever once in awhile I'll forget and backslide and focus more on the target and my bang to clang ratio decreases.

In the below pic if you focus hard on the front sight all of the black dots will disappear.

front sight focus.jpg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably old news to most here but it proves to me that old dogs can in fact learn new tricks.

Old habits are hard to break but I started forcing myself to really focus on the front sight (letting the target blur) a few months back and I must say that my hits on the 25 yd. gongs come easier, even on the 6 incher.......ever once in awhile I'll forget and backslide and focus more on the target and my bang to clang ratio decreases.

In the below pic if you focus hard on the front sight all of the black dots will disappear.

View attachment 163399

Great picture to illustrate it.

Keep those target focus skills practiced also. You need them at closer distances for the increase in speed. That distance change from target focus to sight focus is different for everyone and needs to be understood and practiced. The situation and what the target actually is can also come into play.

And then when you put a red dot on the gun, it all changes! LoL

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Watched a utube on this a while back and it really does tighten the groups. Hardest part for me was not looking at the target after every shot to see shot placement until the mag was empty.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watched a utube on this a while back and it really does tighten the groups. Hardest part for me was not looking at the target after every shot to see shot placement until the mag was empty.

The goal is to know where the sights were when you pulled the trigger. If you can get that focused where you can start calling your shots, you don’t have the tendency to try to change sight focus to the target. It does not come easy, but once it does, it changes the game a bit.

Many can’t call their shots because they close their eyes at the same time they pull the trigger in anticipation of the upcoming explosion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom