Folding knife suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only EDC experience is with a Kershaw Blur. Nice knife, but don't use it to pry anything, or you'll be grinding a new tip.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A week ago, I bought a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian for the God-father of my children and he showed me his Delica from last year.

The pocket clip had a few loose screws and it looked like it had been eaten by a bear and pooped out (and then thrown off a mountain). I've never seen someone who had never carried a pocket-knife use a folding knife so hard. He said he had never had a pocket knife so nice that he could use it as hard as he wanted to (he lives on a farm and has used it from everything to working on his tractor to EDC cutting).

I was happy - gave him the mini-Grip and took the Delica home, disassembled it, washed the crap out of it, lubed it and put it back together with a stripped/polished pocket clip (most of the black coating on his clip was off anyways). I put a pretty nasty edge on it and handed it back to him this morning and told him "Keep using that thing as hard as you have been".

Can't wait to see what he does with the mini-Grip.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool story. I think that is when a knife looks its best.

I didn't get The Wicked Edge for Christmas. My wife got me a new laptop instead but I did get gifted enough cash so I'm going to order it up. I'm just going to order the Pro Pack 1 though.

You were also talking about enjoying some budget folders. I bought my brother in law a Kershaw Blur for Christmas and of course I had to play with it first and I really like it. Could use a little heavier gimping on the top but all in all a very nice blade. I know they have been covered a ton but that was my first experience with one and I enjoyed it enough to order one. I also purchased a Kershaw Cryo for a dirty santa gift and though it is a smaller knife I liked it enough to order one of those to. The Cryo II is probably going to be perfect. Unfortunately I missed the preorder on them from BladeHQ.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I handled one at Bass Pro the other day and I didn't check it out for long because the black finish on the blade looked like they applied it with a can of Krylon.

I did hear the coated blade version was a cheap coating...I don't like coated blades anyhow, I would buy the satin version.

Does anyone know anything about this knife besides the cheap coating on the blade ??

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did hear the coated blade version was a cheap coating...I don't like coated blades anyhow, I would buy the satin version.

Does anyone know anything about this knife besides the cheap coating on the blade ??

It's a great budget-knife for the money. You get AUS-8 steel, a solid liner lock, and a ton of blade (it's actually 3.6+" as opposed to the typical 3.3-3.4" in a knife listed as "3.5 inch blade").

ESEE has a rocky relationship with Ontario over the whole "RAT" thing, so if you want another cool option without supporting Lawsuit-Happy-Ontario, there's the ESEE Zancudo (there is a larger version coming out soon).

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
zancudo's not really an esee, just designed by mike perrin. blue ridge knives owns that one.
though, rowen about has all its tooling up and running to finally produce the izula folder. by 2016, i hope.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, posting from a phone so my posts aren't as detailed as usual. Technically, ESEE doesn't make any knives. They have used several manufacturing companies over the years (TOPS, Rowen, Ontario, BRK, etc.).

The Zancudo is a $30 budget folder made in the same factory as the RAT-1 (according to Blade Forums), so quality should be about the same. I hear complaints on both folders about lack of grippy texture, but other than that, they are both top notch budget folders.

I'd probably look at the Kershaw injection and Spyderco Tenacious/Persistence first, but if you want another quality budget folder in the mix, the RAT-1 and Zancudo are both supposed to be high-value folders.

Oh, and as to the Izula Folder, yeah - I've been waiting a long time on that knife. I can't wait for it.

Edited: I was hauling downed tree limbs earlier and didn't have time to realize what you were saying. I just looked it up on the ESEE website and I don't see the Zancudo anywhere, but oddly enough - stamped on the side of the blade is:

images.knifecenter.com_thumb_1500x1500_knifecenter_ratknives_images_RCBRKR1DC.jpg

Isn't that a hidden E-S-EE in there? Now I'm curious about this - I could swear I saw it listed as an ESEE somewhere (though online retailers miss state things all the time), but the ESEE Knives site is silent on the Zancudo. I know it's listed as being designed by both Mike Perrin and Jeff Randal, but that doesn't necessarily make it a Randal's Adventure Training / ESEE knife - still, the logo then throws me.

I'll probably buy the Orange and Digi-Cam one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom