Folding knife suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
esee knives is the collaboration between RAT/ESEE and rowen mfg. ontario and a couple others made rat knives. rat cutlery/esee knives have always been made by rowen. except for the Becker-designed kitchen knives, and a few folder prototypes.

Right, but before Rowen manufactured knives for RAT Cutlery, RAT used a few other makers (I'm talking way back in the early days):

http://www.eseeknives.com/history.htm

Randall's Adventure Training ® has been designing, marketing and selling survival and military styled knives since 1997. One of our first designs was the RTAK which was built by Newt Livesay's Wicked Knife Company long before Ontario Knife Company produced the design. We also produced and sold the RAT skinning / survival knife made by John Greco, and the RAT Laser Strike knife made by TOPS (We have since re-introduced the Laser Strike as an ESEE knife). Randall's Adventure Training ® also designed the following knives for Ontario Knife Company: RTAK II, TAK, RAT-7, RAT-5, RAT-3, Model 1 folder and the Model II folder (Model II folder is being released in the Spring of 2013).

That being said the Jeff Randall quote pretty much clears up the "is it an ESEE or not" question. I actually remember seeing that post a long time ago on Jungle Forums when they were first talking about the Zancudo, but for some reason I couldn't find it when searching the other night (I was primarily searching blade forums because I thought I saw it over there).

No ESEE marketing, warranty, etc. though, but that's how the RAT-1 and RAT-2 were, so no big deal for a $30 Taiwan budget knife.

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very elegant, EZ. Does Benchmade have to pay a royalty for that spider hole?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

There's a big hoo-ha about that as well. I don't know the complete history, but the general overview (as I recall from memory) is that Benchmade supposedly paid Spyderco some sort of royalties to use the round hole for one (or a few) models, and then decided to use it on other models without paying (I think?) and Spyderco and Benchmade have since settled their disputes out of court or something along those lines.

I'm pretty much at the point where I won't buy a new Benchmade since they just started enforcing MAP pricing and killed the 25% discount that a lot of dealers were giving to customers (which made them worth the money IMO) - so I'm starting to focus on used models through the secondary market.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a ZT 0350 tiger stripe serrated blade. Big beefy solid feeling folder that seems durable. I tend to put my knives through some abuse so time will tell how sturdy the blade is.

image-4108287024.jpg

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got my cryo ii in, like so far. It's razor sharp from the factory. The finish in some of the jimping* isn't great, but doesn't detract from the overall look. It's going to be a working knife anyway. Has a nice weight to it.

Attachments

• image-3088751208.jpg
    image-3088751208.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 181
  • image-283276090.jpg
    image-283276090.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 196
  • image-2895783653.jpg
    image-2895783653.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 193

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to sell off the Contego because it's too large and then my AFCK came in... and it's HUGE!

Here's the Contego just for reference (Crappy cell phone pics):

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_2014_01_08_15_59_37_267_zps9ec597a4.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_2014_01_08_15_59_06_965_zps0772f7d2.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_2014_01_08_15_58_15_284_zps8fd9d4b1.jpg

The AFCK is actually a tad longer than the Contego, but not quite as bulky. Still - it's a heck of a lot of knife. I'll get pics up when I can.

Also, I've got an M390 Barrage coming in thanks to Backstrap - I saw his and had to have one just like it, so it should be here tomorrow.

I'm definitely selling this Contego though - it's way to large for me. I'm also letting go of a few ZTs. Time to scale back some of the pocket-machetes and just stick with what I actually carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom